Have you worked with padauk? Share your results, finish choices, and any lessons learned.
Related: https://www.woodcentral.com/-/working-with-padauk-a-shop-tested-guide-to-woods-most-startling-color/
Working with Padauk
#1
Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
Have you worked with padauk? Share your results, finish choices, and any lessons learned.
Related: https://www.woodcentral.com/-/working-with-padauk-a-shop-tested-guide-to-woods-most-startling-color/
Yes. I don't like it.
Color is wonderful, but finishing is a pain. I made some inlay banding with padauk and maple, and both shellac and spray lacquer caused the red oil in the padauk to bleed into the maple. An oil finish like Waterlox probably wouldn't do that, but it would tend to spoil the contrast between the two. Might still try that as I do like the effect of padauk next to maple in banding.
I also made some Ruger grips for a client out of it. Only client I ever had who didn't want curly figured wood. His jam was color, straight grain and color.
I have used it on several projects. Nice to work with, BUT no matter what finish you use, it will eventually turn Brown. I made a Jewelry Box with it about 10 years ago and finished it with shellac. At that time it was a beautiful reddish brown. Todaiy it is a beautiful brown, no red color at all. My 2 cents.
Ron