Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

What do you do with your turned pieces?

Posts

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#26

Mike Stafford

Likewise...68 in November.


Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#27

Re: Gasp!

John K Jordan

68 is a good age to be. :D And we have a new sunroom-the painters finished this morning.

Great! Now you have time to come visit and paint ours. It's out of character for me but my Lovely Bride put her food down - she hired a friend to do the carpentry and floor and all I have to take care of is the wiring and painting inside.

If you come do it I can go play in the shop. :)

JKJ

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#28

Re: They are worth a lot of money!!!

John K Jordan

on the radio yesterday. “You can make lots of money in the folk music industry, like tens of hundreds of dollars.”

Sounds like farming. Well, sometimes, tens of tens of dollars. I actually took in $400 for some animals last year, a banner year.

JKJ

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#29

A joke for Us 68 year olds....

Barry Irby

I am 68 also, for about a month...

A guy about Our age is in a bar and is absolutely transfixed by a gorgeous young woman. She catches him staring and comes over and says..."for $500 I will do anything you want, anything you can imagine, but there is a catch...you have to tell me in exactly three words. the guy is slightly embarrassed at being caught ogling her, But he pulls out $500 and says....Paint MY House."

Priorities change.

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#30

Re: Some ideas

George Guadiane

The Free Wheelchair Mission does an annual auction. My friend Charlie Croto told me about them. I have provided a few pieces over the years and I'm told they were well received and that they brought good prices.

They provide wheelchairs to people with disabilities across the planet.

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#31

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

Don Orr

Definitely a tough problem to have but I know what you mean. I have boxes of stuff as well and no family to leave it to. Mostly I donate to charities when I can and give away some others where possible. I have 1 of your pieces and might find room for another if they went up for auction or sale. Just sayin.

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#32

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

Hugh

Then, I have another thought...….Outside my shop ….along 1/2 of the wall.....I put out my turnings that do not make it. Something that happened during the turning process that made it not worth finishing....think cracks, and any number of things....blown up vessels, etc. I call it "Yard Art". It sits in the sun and rain and has mostly turned that nice gray color. But, lots of different shapes, sizes, etc. Actually pretty cool. Better than burning it.

Now....it think I may get out my old stuff, that is not good for the market now......start another "Yard Art" pile.

Fun thing happened one time. I used to belong to an Art Guild downtown. They had a "recycle show" one time. I picked out one of the pieces from the yard art and put it in the show. Someone came along and paid $250 for it.

I guess I could sand off my name on the bottom and give them away then.

Kind of like the yard art though.

Hugh

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#33

Re: Likewise...68 in November.

Reed Gray

I am 11/22.... I have an almost twin brother from another mother 11/25...

robo hippy

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#34

You 68 guys are whippersnappers!


Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#35

Yea but at least we can climb ladders   


Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#36

I don't know about you other 68ers...

John K Jordan

...but I think I had a lot more energy way back when I was 67. A week ago.

JKJ

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#37

Jim in Burlington Ont.

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

Jim in Burlington Ont.

Hi Ellis,

Throwing away Wood?!?!?! :D

Having moved my own shop recently I went through the same. I have my pens still that of course I sell or give away or still make for Canadian soldiers.

I went through the tough call on turnings, what I could not give away I donated to causes that could sell, thus avoiding the decision to burn! :O

I mostly turn dry wood so I still have a small inventory of potential for those days when I just need to turn...

Don't ask me about my board hoard, still 2000 bd ft plus on the wall waiting for my next adventures,

You're a long way from gone, Take care, Jim

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.