Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

What do you do with your turned pieces?

Posts

What do you do with your turned pieces?

#1

Ellis Walentine

What do you do with your turned pieces?

Ellis Walentine

I know it sounds like a dumb question, but we're moving soon and I'm clearing out my shop and attic and finding boxes and boxes of turned pieces: bowls, hollowforms, odds and ends big and small. Some are decent quality and finished; most are interesting but not wonderful. Rather than just throw them all in a dumpster or a burn pile, I thought they might be worth something to somebody. I was wondering if you folks have been up against this dilemma yourselves and how you dealt with it.

And, what about all the chunks and logs of turning wood?

I just thought this might make for a worthwhile discussion. It would have been so much easier to let my kids deal with this after I'm gone. :)

Ellis Walentine, Host

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#2

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

John Stegall

You could let your kids decide now.

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#3

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

Roger

Do an auction on WC!

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#4

Some ideas

John K Jordan

Let the kids pick through them first, of course. Get them to put some away for the grandkids and great grand kids!

I give some turnings away to friends, to vets and doctors, dentist office, church staff. People who have no way to make something themselves will appreciate them. I'm currently making a series of pieces to give to neighbors just to be neighborly - most have no idea of what I do here except when they see me feeding the llamas.

Nursing homes and assisted living places can use some. The pastor or outreach director of any church in the nation (or certain social workers) could give you names of elderly or disabled shut-ins whos day (or month) could be made brighter by a simple gift. I auctioned one big platter on ebay for a fundraiser for a sick girl.

Any lidded bowls? They might make great Beads of Courage boxes for kids with cancer.

Auctioning and selling is a pain but they might be donated to a charity and let them auction or sell. There is a church near here that does a charity bazaar ever year to raise money for certain villages in South America - they sell all kinds of home-made things. I have taken llamas and alpacas for photo opportunity fundraisers.

(But a Woodcentral benefit auction might get some action - I'd bid on a genuine Ellis woodturning! Maybe get someone else to take all the pictures and pack and ship for a percentage. After seeing some of your other wood I'd certainly buy some of your turning blocks. In fact, I can imagine a road trip...)

Would a senior center or an art teach want some for people to decorate? There is a center near here that finds and creates opportunities for disabled people to make or enhance things to sell. I wonder if places like this would find a good use for various bowls and vessels.

Surface artists might treasure some for "collaboration" pieces - painting, woodburning, carving, airbrushing, pen and ink. A woman at one of the turning clubs here does not turn wood but decorates some of what others turn - the results are always phenomenal! She turned a rather ordinary straight-sided lidded staved vessel into a treasure of a Beads of Courage box - she used woodburning, painting, and dyes to make carousel horses and creatures around the outside.

Sell a bulk batch to a florist for making arrangements?

JKJ

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#5

Re: Some ideas

Robert Lalonde

I give mine to an organization here called CASA whose mission it is to help kids in crisis. They are used in their annual auction.

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#6

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

Dick Coers

Finished turnings can be donated to your local PBS station if they have an annual auction like they do here in Peoria. Opening bids are 1/2 of price on the object, so it's a good deal for everyone!

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#7

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

jake niedling

I have a couple of boxes of turnings that we no longer display. I have been making sure when someone visits, they must take a couple of items of their choosing from the boxes. If they have children, I let them take some as well. Everyone ends up happy.

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#8

Ellis Walentine

Awesome! Thanks, JK


Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#9

Ellis Walentine

Great suggestions, all. Thanks!


Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#10

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

Reed Gray

There are many organizations that take things for auction. Our local empty bowls auction is not limited to bowls, they will take anything. Humane society is another one. Homeless shelters, women's shelters, crisis centers, and the list goes on. I would love to buy one of your pieces for my new home. I am upsizing, not downsizing... At least for the next 20 to 30 years....

robo hippy

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#11

Gasp!

John K Jordan

I am upsizing, not downsizing... At least for the next 20 to 30 years....

Yikes, you must be one of those rare people I've only heard rumors about - a YOUNG woodturner!

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#12

Mike Stafford

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

Mike Stafford

This is a reprint of an editorial I did in More Woodturning.

On virtually every wood turning forum, eventually someone will ask how everyone else either sells or otherwise disposes of their excess wood turnings. It can be far easier to turn pieces of wood into useful and decorative objects than it is to get rid of those same turnings. Every wood turner has this problem sooner or later. I equate this problem to the problem a gardener has in getting rid of his excess zucchini.

Wood turnings are like zucchini. Most years we grow more zucchini than we care to eat. So we start giving the excess away to neighbors. Initially the neighbors are glad to receive the fresh vegetables. After a few trips up and down the street our neighbors start drawing their curtains, hiding and pretending not to be at home. They will not answer the door when they see us with the vegetable basket marching down the street. They don’t even want to receive any of my wife’s delicious zucchini bread.

Same thing happens when you try to give away your wood turnings. After a few years folks do not want any more bowls, boxes, etc. It is almost like you have to move to a new neighborhood to get rid of more turned stuff. I used to pass them out at the neighborhood Christmas party. Initially people were excited to receive a small candy bowl, a box for paper clips, some candle stands or an ornamental bird house. Now we don't get invited to that event.

We live in an established neighborhood. It has been a while since anyone new moved in. But it is always nice when someone new moves onto the street. Firstly this event provide opportunities for housewarming gifts. I can unload, I mean, give the newcomers a box full of turnings and if they have children you can’t believe how much stuff I can give them. And secondly, for the next few years I can add to their collection. Then like the rest of the neighbors they will draw the curtains and pretend not be at home. Sometimes they will not even acknowledge you when you see them at the grocery store where they are buying their own zucchini for fear that in accepting free zucchini they might be obligating themselves to more turnings.

Relatives can be a reliable venue through which you can give turnings. But even relatives have their limits. I gave many turnings to the family at Christmas and for birthdays. One year it was decided to have a big family reunion. I took a large box of turnings to the family reunion and made an announcement that anyone who wanted a turning could have whatever was in the box. At the end of the day, I had almost as many as I started with. I got the message….and the turnings went home with me.

My wife is good about collecting some of my turnings as her favorites. She displays them in a number of places around the house. I did a count and currently there are 47 pieces on display. She has a closet devoted to her collection which she rotates in and out of the displays. I don’t know how many turnings are in there but as she adds new favorite pieces to the collection she sometimes takes older pieces out and puts them in the giveaway boxes. Even she has her limit.

It is so quick and easy to turn dozens of pens and everyone needs a pen, right? Even pens can be difficult to get rid of after you’ve been turning them for a while. When I was selling lots of pens I had access to two colleges and sold many expensive pens to faculty members. But that market became saturated and my sales dried up. Nowadays, no one uses a pen and I haven’t turned any styluses (or is it styli?).

I usually give pieces to guests when they come to visit. Now no one wants to visit. Even the Jehovah Witnesses stopped coming when I handed them a turning in exchange for the religious tracts they were passing out. That was a great exchange because it was easy for me to dispose of a religious tract.

It has been years since I have seen any door-to-door encyclopedia or magazine salesmen, but if any drop by I have something for them. I never see the woman who delivers our paper because she does it in the very early morning. I suspect she is aware that contact with me might result in woodturning gifts.

I would love to exchange a few turnings for a check from the Publishers Clearing House Prize Patrol. I don’t see that happening any time soon. I don’t enter that contest.

I don’t have the heart to try and unload turnings on the Girl Scouts as their arms are usually full of boxes of delicious cookies. They will not barter for turnings either. I know, I have tried.

The Boy Scouts used to hang a big bag on the front door knob for their food drive. I started throwing in a couple of turnings along with the cans of peas and corn and dry pasta. I guess the hungry aren’t as hungry as they used to be as I don’t see those bags any more.

And whatever you do don’t drop any turnings in a child’s Halloween pumpkin. Almost certainly the police will pay you visit and want to know why you are giving kids wood instead of candy.

I always give a turning to my mailman for Christmas because he is kind enough to deliver my mailed wood purchases directly to my shop. But I fear that eventually he will want to move to a different route to avoid being given any more dust collectors, er, wood turnings. The UPS and FedEx folks deliver packages to the front stoop, ring the door bell and run back to their trucks before I can give them something.

I used to sell in two galleries but I don't want to get into that rut again. Both galleries are at the beach and cater to tourists. The best part about tourists is that they represent a shifting population that changes somewhat each summer so you have a completely new market for your work. As long as the stuff you offer is small and easily packed with the dirty laundry in their suitcase they seem to be interested. Larger items that have to be shipped don’t seem to sell as readily. But I feel bad when items don’t sell and the gallery owners have to dust them (not that bad really). At this point I am unable to produce enough work and deal with getting it to the galleries to make it worthwhile for any of us. I still believe this to be a good outlet but I just can't deal with it anymore.

I have an ETSY store where I sell turnings tailored to needlewomen such as ort (waste) bowls, needle cases, laying tools, etc. I even manage to sell a few boxes, bowls and birdhouses on this site. This has been very successful because of my wife's connections and standing within the needlewoman community. But even that seems to be reaching its saturation point. I don't know how much longer I will be able to sell in that venue. Besides, another vendor on the site copied my designs and sells them cheaper.

I send pieces to my online woodturning friends as Christmas gifts. So far I have not had any pieces returned. I did have some close calls this past Christmas when the mailman delivered some packages that were the same boxes in which I sent my gifts. Before opening one of those packages I wrote to the person whose return address was on the box and told him that I did not accept returns of gifted items or offer cash refunds and that he was going to have to keep what I sent him. He informed me that he was re-using the box to send some of his excess turnings. I sent him one piece of work and he sent me two so that was a net gain of one to my turning inventory. The same thing happened with a couple of other turners this year so even the long distance gifting ploy has failed. I may have to move so they can’t send me any more turnings. I cannot afford to double the number of wood turnings in my home. But at least I have some nice wood turned art to add to our collection.

While I was sick and being treated I gave all of my doctors, radiology technicians, nurses, receptionists and therapists pens, boxes, bowls, birdhouse ornaments etc. etc. I was able to get rid of a lot of stuff although I cannot recommend that particular avenue of distribution to anyone. I've noticed that they no longer want to see me as frequently as they did. At least two of my doctors left town. I hope it was because they are seeking better opportunities and are not just trying to avoid seeing me. I guess it could be because I am getting better but I suspect it might have something to do with all the turnings I passed out. I am not eager to acquire a new disease to open up additional medical practices where I might distribute my turnings.

One of my woodturning friends came to visit me while I was in the hospital and brought several boxes and bags full of wood turning blanks and a number of wood turnings. So I gained in the number of turnings I have and wasn’t even going to the shop. He was kind to visit...If he ever gets sick I will repay the favor.

I donate a couple of pieces each year to the local art center fundraiser. So far they haven't rejected any of my donations but they will not share their member list with me so I can gift those people with turnings and perhaps find a few new patrons.

These are my experiences with trying to get rid of my turning production. You will note that I did not say "production turning". I have never been a production turner. Because of my experiences with getting rid of what I do turn, I have trouble relating to those production turners who turn and sell thousands of items each year. I have never come close to turning that much stuff in one year. Even with my limited production, I have accumulated so much stuff that we no longer have closet space in which to store it. I am not going to build another wing on the house. The U-Store-It places are too expensive.

In the winter my shop stands idle as I don’t turn during cold weather but as soon as it warms up I head out to the shop and turn something else. Perhaps some Mormon youth wanting to raise money for a mission trip by washing windows will come by and I can gift them with a few turnings. I really need my windows washed. If they do show up it would even be better if they come during zucchini season.

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#13

Very funny and true

john lucas

I ran into the same thing as a photographer. My sister told me she didn't have any more wall space for photos. So naturally I started giving turnings. Now I've worn out that gig as well. I do have a wood stove and have thought seriously about reducing my inventory that way but so far have resisted. That may change when we move and downsize because I'm not going to buy a house with an extra bedroom just to story turnings. I wonder what would happen if I sell the house the entire attic is piled with turnings. Can I tell them it's insulation.

so I am just about in the same situation Ellis. In about a year or less we are going to move and downsize a lot. I really don't know what I'm going to do. The ideal thing would be to have a one man show in a big gallery in Atlanta or Chicago and sell everything. Maybe I could put up a big sign that says "everything must go, no offer refused" Maybe the homeless would accept bowls or wine glasses.

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#14

Mike Stafford

Re: Very funny and true

Mike Stafford

I hadn't thought about giving my excess to homeless people but it might make them move away. :b

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#15

Re: Gasp!

Reed Gray

Well, I will hit 68 this year. I want to be like my dad, who turns 96 this year. He still goes into work. Family business, and he is an engineer. Insatiable curiosity.... Or the engineer's syndrome, "if it ain't broke, take it apart and fix it anyway..."I figure I have a few more very active years ahead...

robo hippy

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#16

Mike, thanks for the reminder

John K Jordan

I just realized that when I sent you some turning blanks years ago you sent back some turnings, upping the anti. But I didn't take advantage of it then and failed to send you a box full of turnings! I can fix that. I'll need your mailing address again...

JKJ

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#17

Re: Gasp!

John K Jordan

Well, I will hit 68 this year. I want to be like my dad, who turns 96 this year.

Ha, 68 for me too, just this week! I haven't felt the downsizing gene kick in yet either. In fact, about to start on a new farm building, working on a sun room and screened in porch, expanded living room, new deck. Still saving for a track hoe.

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#18

Ric Taylor

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

Ric Taylor

Thanks Mike, you brightened my day again! :)

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#19

ebd

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

ebd

I give a lot away to family and friends. This weekend one is going to my nephew as a wedding gift. I have a ton of rough turned black walnut blanks. When I need a gift I just dig through, pick one out and finish turn it.

I also have quite a bit of exotic 8/4 and turning blanks. I'm getting ready to work my way through it so it isn't hanging around for my kids to deal with. Going to be making finger joint boxes with the flat stock and experimenting with the turning stock.

Much or almost all of the finished stuff will be given away. Some to good cause auctions. The best will either go to family or I will keep.

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#20

Re: Gasp!

Reed Gray

If I had a sun room, I would try growing pepper corns for the pepper mills. Looked them up once, and they take indoor temps, like nothing below about 65. Kind of a bush/vine and take a couple of years before they produce....

I do plan on hosting 'play dates' when the shop is done.....

robo hippy

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#21

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

Hugh

I have a few containers full of old woodturnings. They never see the light of day.

I am not sure they should be out in public at all.

Thinking I may have a nice fire soon.

Should you put your lessor quality items out there at all.

If one were to dump a bunch of old bowls....maybe not the quality one makes now, out there...……...would it drop the value of the current "great" stuff?

Just thinking here.

Hugh

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#22

They are worth a lot of money!!!

Keith Newton

Like I heard someone quote Tom Paxton on the radio yesterday. “You can make lots of money in the folk music industry, like tens of hundreds of dollars.” You might say I’d be a multi-hundredaire if sold all that I have. 😂

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#23

Re: Gasp!

John Jordan

68 is a good age to be. :D And we have a new sunroom-the painters finished this morning.

John

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#24

ebd

Re: They are worth a lot of money!!!

ebd

Funny and true.

Re: What do you do with your turned pieces?

#25

68 here as well.   


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.