WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Variable Speed??

Posts

Re: Variable Speed??

#26

Re: I think we've had this discussion before

Don Evans

You are correct Dick, they don't have the necessary torque for a good lathe motor. When this "use a tread mill motor" fad was in big swing, what 20 years ago? I purchased one them from surpluscenter.com for my 10" delta just like one being discussed here. I never put it on the lathe cause I knew it would not do unless I was just going to turn writing pen, bottle stoppers and things of that size. If that was all I was turning I could have made it do.

I did use the motor and controller however and therefore have a very nice VS sharpening hone. Those motors are great for that purpose.

Don

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.