WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

The end of "The Shanks"

Posts

The end of "The Shanks"

#1

The end of "The Shanks"

George Guadiane

I'm doing a hands on demonstration of thin walled pedestal box with finial at the Lake Yale Baptist Conference Center, February 8.

For the last week, I had been trying to make a finial for this nicely spalted sycamore crotch hollowform. I had "the shanks." I tried different woods, different tools, different techniques, I was breaking EVERYTHING!

Finally, yesterday, after taking a day off, I picked up this piece of curly ash and got an acceptable complete finial. I still haven't settled on my own finial design, so this is another variation

CA finish on the hollowform, Renaissance Wax only on the finial.

5 7'8 inches in diameter 9 1/8 inches high with finial.

Re: The end of "The Shanks"

#2

Re: The end of "The Shanks"

David Walser

George - It's spectacular! I think you nailed the form.

Re: The end of "The Shanks"

#3

Re: The end of "The Shanks"

John C Lucas

Very nice. Sometimes its the wood.on thin finials. Ive had pieces just snap with really minor pressure. Pick up a different piece and no problem.

Re: The end of "The Shanks"

#4

Re: The end of "The Shanks"

Paul Grenier

Stunning wood and work. Congratulations.

Re: The end of "The Shanks"

#5

Re: The end of "The Shanks"

Joe shelton

I'd heard of the shank end before, but had never seen it.

Splendid example. Thanks.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.