WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Best solvent for hot melt glue?

Posts

Best solvent for hot melt glue?

#1

Best solvent for hot melt glue?

david

Have been using acetone with limited success and have yet to try denatured alcohol. Anything better out there? Looking to remove residue from turned and sanded wood surfaces.

Re: Best solvent for hot melt glue?

#2

JL

Re: Best solvent for hot melt glue?

JL

I don't know if it is readily or easily available - but you can try dichloromethane or choloroform. You may also have some luck with toluene.

Some of the hot melt glues are mixtures of ethylene vinyl acetate and low density polyethylene.

Back in the lab, when we wanted to dissolve EVA and LDPE we used the more aggressive non-polar solvents.

YMMV.

Re: Best solvent for hot melt glue?

#3

Re: Best solvent for hot melt glue?

Mark Wollschlager

I just use physical means to peel it off of the surface.

Heat or cold to improve workability .

You might try a different type of glue stick.

The type I have does not harden to a brittle state, it stays kind of rubbery.

I was able to use a softer wood to scrape up residue from the surface.

The solvent might drive the glue into the wood where it might effect the finish quality in spots.

Re: Best solvent for hot melt glue?

#4

Re: Best solvent for hot melt glue?

john lucas

I've been using denatured alcohol for years. Doesn't necessarily dissolve it but softens it enough that it's easy to pick off. Then I use it to wipe over those areas to remove the rest of the residue.

Re: Best solvent for hot melt glue?

#5

Mike Stafford

Re: Best solvent for hot melt glue?

Mike Stafford

My two favorite methods are to put the piece in the freezer assuming you have a freezer large enough. The cold seems to make the glue shrink which in turn loosens it so that it can be popped off easily.

Another method that works for me it to paint the area around the glue with odorless mineral spirits. The mineral spirits don't dissolve the glue but it does seem to loosen its bond once again allowing the residues to be easily picked off with an awl.

Re: Best solvent for hot melt glue?

#6

Re: Best solvent for hot melt glue?

Tom Gall

Not sure what type of application you are using the hot-melt glue, but this may work for you. I used to use this method when making bandsawn boxes (20-25 years ago) and more recently for temporary turning jigs.

Apply masking tape (blue or green painters tape works better) to both surfaces, rub it down for secure adhesion to your surface. (It's a good idea to fold over an edge so you can get an easy grip to remove later). Apply H-M glue as usual.....it should hold as well (in most cases :) ) as a wood-to-wood glue-up. When your finished with your application, a little prying or sharp pressure should undo the joint. If you use a good quality tape there shouldn't be any residue when it is removed. This method works well on previously finished surfaces (as long as the heat doesn't affect your finish) as well as sanded surfaces. I hope this makes sense! 8)

Re: Best solvent for hot melt glue?

#7

Ken Vaughan

High temp vs low temp glue

Ken Vaughan

You did not say which you used. Hopefully it was low temp all purpose glue sticks.

I have both and the high temp is very hard to get loose compared to low temp. Different glue guns and high temp glue does not work well in the low temp gun.

Denatured alcohol and mineral spirits have bee my tools with temporary use of low temp.

Have a prototype with high temp that I was never able to get decontaminated. Sticky stuff!!!

Re: Best solvent for hot melt glue?

#8

Thanks for the responses

david

Several options to try now. To answer some questions, I think the glue I am currently using is dual temperature. I am adhering a flat plexiglass template to a convex wood surface. No problem getting the residue off the template with a chisel. The wood surface is more problematic. The acetone currently using works after several applications and a lot of elbow grease, but looking for a better option.

Re: Best solvent for hot melt glue?

#9

barry rockwell

Re: Thanks for the responses

Barry Rockwell

David, have you tried warming the glue up a little with a heat gun prior to removing the template? I've had pretty good luck getting more of the glue off when it's warm and a little softer.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.