WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Question regarding chisel guards.....

Posts

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#26

I agree

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

Unless traveling I never understood "tool rolls". or any other storage device for chisels. I guess fundamentally I don't understand "storing" tools that will be used when building most things. That which is going to be used for building stuff needs to be at hand. I store the skew chisel someone recommended I buy because I never use it. I store the tools I used for string inlay.....until I am doing string inlay at which time the tools are made ready on the bench.

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#27

Derek and Bill.....

roger lance

I love both of you guys.....but, our bench set-ups are different.....we work differently.

I do have some tools readily at hand when working at the bench.....


That back wall was built almost 30 years ago and the peg board area was made to allow for those two power outlets to be handy to the bench. Many of the tools stored there are newer and there have been changes in that regard.

I store my chisels in a bench drawer which I find convenient. I liked the Shaker style benches and I find that my bench is really a large work surface on a tool cabinet.....


Notice how nicely that tool roll fits into the back of the drawer.....a simple solution for now.

I'm not advocating chisel guards.....but, just trying them.....things can change.....


and they probably will.....inconsequential as it is.

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#28

Re: I agree

Sgian Dubh

"Unless traveling I never understood "tool rolls". or any other storage device for chisels."

I agree Bill, except earlier in this thread I did suggest a tool roll source, so perhaps it coincides with my experience.

I actually have three sets of general purpose or standard chisels.

One set resides in a rack in my workshop toolbox, a semi-portable thing that actually carries all my best tools and sits alongside a semi-permanent bench in semi-permanent jobs I work at.

Another set sits in a drawer in my home based too-small workshop - it's just the garage really, but it has to do.

And the third set sits in a tool roll in a tool bag that gets hauled around from job to job as required in my varied freelance rolls that seem to make up the bulk of my work nowadays. It's surprising how much can be achieved with my minimal toolkit. Having just the bare minimum of tools, including only five bevel edged chisels (in a tool roll also containing other odds and ends) and a No 5 plane for all hand planing requirements does require some ingenuity, but I've been able to get by with it for two or three years now, ha, ha. Slainte.

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#29

Kneale Brownson

Blue Spruce being the name of the manufacturer


Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#30

Ellis Walentine

... and a WoodCentral advertiser

Ellis Walentine

Dave Jeske has been supporting this site for many years. His tools are beautifully designed and painstakingly crafted works of art. Go to our Marketplace page, find his banner and pay him a call. Tell him WoodCentral sent you. We rely on our sponsors to keep the lights on around here.

Ellis Walentine, Host

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.