WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Question regarding chisel guards.....

Posts

Question regarding chisel guards.....

#1

Question regarding chisel guards.....

roger lance

I use to see various chisel tip guards available in tool catalogs.....never bought any; but, now I think I might want a set of these guards.....no can find.

Lee Valley use to sell a set made of flexible plastic....33E01.01.....no longer available.

Any idea where they are still being offered??

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#2

Re: Question regarding chisel guards..... *LINK*

Sgian Dubh

I can't help with chisel tip guards, but have you considered a tool roll. Lee Valley offer a few options such as these, which are similar to one I use here in the UK. It protects the edges and, perhaps more importantly, my fingers cut free when I'm blindly fishing around for my chisels deep in a tool bag or box. Slainte.


http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/page.aspx?p=30006&cat=1,41504,41613

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#3

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

roger lance

Yes indeed.....and if a chisel had that plastic protective guard on.....it would be less likely to tear that canvas roll.

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#5

make your own?

Joseph Piotrowski

would plastic dip work?

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#6

Re: make your own?

roger lance

plastic dip does work.....watched a YouTube video where tape was first applied to the chisel (sticky side out).....then dipped.....the tape made a good release agent.

Sometimes, its just easier to buy.

Also, thought of making some little protectors in wood.

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#7

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

JohnV

get some short lengths of appropriate size plastic tubing available at better hardware stores. Snip off @2" pieces are just slip on. Might cost a few bucks but not much.

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#8

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

Sgian Dubh

ach to their own preference of course Roger. I've always found those plastic chisel tip guards disappear fast so I've never bothered with them. On the other hand, I haven't lost the tool roll in many years. It's hard to lose being relatively large I suppose, and I simply slide the chisels sharp end into the pockets without there being a problem cutting the material. The tool roll is handy for my travelling tool kit with everything chucked in a bag.

On the other hand, my permanent near the bench toolbox has captive slots for each of my most commonly used chisels which hang vertically, sharp end down, without tip protectors, although the tips do sit behind a piece of wood which keeps my fingers safely away from them. Slainte.

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#9

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

John C Lucas

I have 2 sets of flat chisels. One set sits in a.drawer.and each chisel has its own slot. The good set that i use for serious work all have there own gray plastic cover. I have no idea where i got those. I tried a tool r7oll for my carving chisels and apparently it held moisture and caused se eral.of them to start rusting so i tossed that thing.

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#10

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

roger lance

Thats a definite option.

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#11

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

William Duffield

I have a rack, similar to Bill's, that holds my chisels and a bunch of other tools up on a shelf, that I can move down to my bench when needed.

My carving gouges are in a shallow drawer beneath my bench top, and are held in place in racks with semicircular indentations. If I need to work with them away from the shop, I have a leather tool roll.

For my slicks, I made wooden (teak) guards with cord and cleats to hold them in place.



Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#12

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

roger lance

That's a very "seaman" like solution.

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#13

Re: Tool Racks

William Duffield

The "whale tails" turned out to be a nice touch.

I found a couple pics of my chisel rack.

Empty:


Full:


and also another rack for rasps, files, dovetail saw and scrapers:


Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#14

I don't use chisel guards.....

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

I find this chisel holder that sits on the bench to be convenient.


Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#15

Re: I don't use chisel guards.....

roger lance

Hit the wrong button.....did ya?.....corrected now. I've not used them either.....just trying to explore some options if a get more chisels. I've been using a drawer.....


Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#16

Re: I don't use chisel guards.....

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

It seems that chisels on the bench will be more handy than chisels in the drawer. So make some sort of bench holder to hold chisels in use for a project and use the drawer for storage of seldom use chisels....works for me. BTW, I was encouraged to own skew chisels but I have not found a use for them.

Crazy here, I could have absent mindedly posted in the "classified". In spite, Andrea and I got the book shelf nearly done. She turned out to be an exceptional sander and did some planing. She found a piece of pine, some carving gouges and set to carving holes and chamfers and channels, etc. And we made cookies, bread, pan cakes, bagels and went to see Coco(exceptional animation and color).

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#17

Re: I don't use chisel guards.....

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

I keep out chisels that are likely to be used. These hang behind my bench. All other chisels hang on racks in a chest. In the photo below you can see the chisels in the background, while in the foreground life goes on :) ...


Here is a close up ...


An old picture with a closer look at the tool tray which is attached to the wall behind the bench ..


Regards from Cape Town

Derek

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#18

question, what is this thing

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.


Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#19

Looks like a mallet


Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#20

Appears to have a handle like a mallet.....


Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#21

Re: question, what is this thing

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Hi Bill

It is a Blue Spruce carver's mallet ..


The interesting part is that it is made from curly maple that has been infused with a hard resin. I've had it several years and not seen any wear.

Regards from Cape Town

Derek

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#22

Re: just saw these ...

roger lance

Just bought a set of the silicone chisel guards which are currently on sale at 50% off.

They are slightly flexible and do hold a good grip on a chisel.....the chisel is protected.....the chisel roll is protected.....works well now.

Also went to the local Ace Hardware and got some plastic tubing scraps that can be cut into short lengths as protectors.

Problem solved.

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#23

Re: just saw these ...

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Roger, why do you want chisel guards? The one's I have had just get lost when you remove them and put them down "somewhere". I can understand the need if one was travelling with chisels that lie loosely in a bag. However, in a workshop you (and I) have a rack in which they live. Is that not enough?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#24

Re: just saw these ...

roger lance

Derek.....I just bought a set of the LV PM-V11 chisels which I'll be storing in a cloth tool roll. I've never used tool guards before.....I've stored my bench chisels in a bench drawer.....taking them out as needed.

The guards were bought as a little more protection for the chisels possibly doing some damage to each other as they are being rolled up.....and some protection for the cloth roll from being cut by the chisels.

Re: Question regarding chisel guards.....

#25

Re: just saw these ...

Derek Cohen (in Perth, Australia)

Roger, I would keep them in a rack alongside the bench, where they are easily accessed. A rack is where you put them down when not in use - no danger of rolling off the bench. A rack keeps the chisels from banging into one another - no need for a guard. A rack is nice to look at (as long as you do not have to hide them from your wife).

Tool rack behind my bench ..


No chisel guards. :)

Regards from Perth

Derek

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.