Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Motor Rotation CW OPE, Direction?

Posts

Motor Rotation CW OPE, Direction?

#1

Motor Rotation CW OPE, Direction?

John Weber - GO BUCKS!

>I have a c-face motor with a CW OPE rotation. Does that mean it's clockwise looking at the shaft or looking from the rear. I assume it's looking at the shaft end, but wanted to double check.

Thanks - John

Re: Motor Rotation CW OPE, Direction?

#2

Re: Motor Rotation CW OPE, Direction?

Jim Swank

>I don't recognize the "OPE" designation. Could it have been "ODE"? If so, it is Opposite Drive End, the NEMA standard for rotation.

For a normal motor with a single ended shat, the shaft is the Drive End. To make it easier to remember rotation, picture the shaft as the head of a horse. If you straddle the body - just like riding the horse - facing the shaft (the horses head), you're viewing the motor correctly to understand rotation.

There's always a few that seem to prefer facing the other end of the horse....

Re: Motor Rotation CW OPE, Direction?

#3

You guys are making my head hurt.......

Barry Irby

>I have disgraphia or dislexia or left/right orientation "issues" or something. A motor is a horse with a rotating head? Horses heads rotate? If I gave my kid a horsey back ride, would my head rotate? My cousin had a horse and best I recall its head did not rotate, but it wasn't much of a horse.

I would want to look at the motor from the end of the shaft and orient my watch so its shaft was paralel and use that to determine "clockwise", but that's too easy.

ODE? Who cares what the ODE is doing? I want to know what the Drive End is doing.

There are so many things I don't know. Took me years to realize the wind direction is stated in the direction it came FROM. I guess its more important to know where it came from than where it going.

I would have to hook up the motor and watch it.

Re: Motor Rotation CW OPE, Direction?

#4

Re: You guys are making my head hurt.......

Larry Clinton in Frankfort, Indiana

>Motor direction is normally stated as the rotation looking directly at the end of the drive shaft. I am not sure what the OPE designation relates too - Often there is an ODP which means Open Drip Proof, this has nothing to do with rotation. A CW (clockwise) motor should run the same as your watch hands when viewing the end of the drive shaft.

Re: Motor Rotation CW OPE, Direction?

#5

Re: You guys are making my head hurt.......

Larry in NW Ohio

>OK Larry Clinton Just for clarification a motor can be open and still drip proof? Just sounds kind of srtange to me. Larry in NWOhio

Re: Motor Rotation CW OPE, Direction?

#6

Re: You guys are making my head hurt.......

Al Stokka - Cambridge, Iowa

>As I recall, a drip-proof motor can be open. The motor shaft is tilted 15� up from from horizontal and if nothing enters the motor guts and causes a problem, it can be classified as drip proof.

Surely, if I'm wrong, someone will correct this? (Stop calling me Shirley.) Sorry, I watched Airplane yesterday.

Al

Re: Motor Rotation CW OPE, Direction?

#7

Re: Shirley: OPE and drip-proof defined

Al Stokka - Cambridge, Iowa

>Stolen (without permission, of course) from:

http://www.reliance.com/prodserv/motgen/b9652new/b9652.htm

DRIP-PROOF MOTOR

An open motor in which the ventilating openings are so constructed that drops of liquid or solid particles falling on it, at any angle not greater than 15 degrees from the vertical, cannot enter either directly or by striking and running along a horizontal or inwardly inclined surface.

FRONT END OF A MOTOR

The front end of a normal motor is the end opposite the coupling or driving pulley (NEMA). This is sometimes called the opposite pulley end (O.P.E.) or commutator end (C.E.)

Text is bolded by yours truly.

Al

Re: Motor Rotation CW OPE, Direction?

#8

Re: Shirley: OPE and drip-proof defined

Jim Swank

>Sounds like OPE and ODE are the same thing, even if I hadn't heard of the one. Thing is, we as normal users would expect one thing, and the standards call for the opposite.

The horse analogy is just a way of remembering which way is which if you need a mental picture to keep it straight. I stared at the wrong end of the horse a few times myself before I figured it out.

Re: Motor Rotation CW OPE, Direction?

#9

So, looking at the back end of the motor

Don Henthorn

>should give you the rotation?

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.