WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

Posts

Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#1

Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

When finishing a barrel coopers use this tool to create a shallow hollow around the inside edge of the tops and bottoms of the barrel sides.

What is it?

Tom

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#2

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

Can you say that again a little louder, I didn't hear the question because of all the noise from a flock of crows.

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#3

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

Sounds sorta like a Penelope, a Tom, a boat racing sport, even airplane.

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#4

Nope

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#5

No, but on review.....

....you will also get bonus points for guessing the tool used AFTER the tool of which I seek. Keep thinking!

Tom

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#6

Close but no cigar.....

Don, Like Gary, you get bonus points for guessing the tool that is used AFTER the tool I seek. Care to try again?

Tom

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#7

Hint Time!

This tool has a name similar to the last name of a passenger that was on the S.S. Minnow.

T.

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#8

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

I believe that's a Cooper's Croze - John P. from merry old England (my wife wrote this, she's American and still thinks England is merry)

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#9

A MARYANN????

She is the one I remember best from that show----

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#10

Not what I seek

Croze has already been guessed. This tool is a specialty plane that would be used in tandem with the croze. That tool's name is what I seek.

Thanks

Tom

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#11

Me too...but nope.

Not the answer, but like you...I was a Mary Ann fan. Way cuter than Ginger!

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#12

Re: Hint Time!

Think I got it - a howel. As in Thurston the 3rd. (that nugget came from my American wife)

John P

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#13

If not a howel, how about a chive?

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#14

Thurston Howel says That's it!!

A howel plane cuts a groove inside a barrel that is followed by a croze. The croze follows the groove made by the howel.

Gary wins a handsome set of glue scrapers provided by The Handyman Club of America...congratulations!

Tom

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#15

Not my win. John Porritt 3hrs. sooner.

Re: Happy Humpday...Triviola Time

#16

Oops! My Bad......

I missed John's answer. Thankfully I hadn't shipped the glue spreaders yet. A hearty congrats then goes to John. And as for Gary, you go empty handed this time. Go cry on your Golden Uni!!

Tom

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.