WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Submit vs Post reply

Posts

Submit vs Post reply

#1

Peter Martin

Tom Gall wrote:

I wrote a longer response and it disappeared !!!  Guess I clicked on the wrong button again.

Using your browser's BACK button will usually return you to the post page with what your wrote intact.

Aside from that, the button on the forums to submit what you wrote is always labeled "Submit." Don't confuse it with one labeled "Reply" which does not submit anything but just changes page format for replying. 

Also, if logged in, you can edit what you submitted for a period of time -- five hours as I recall.

Re: Submit vs Post reply

#2

@Peter Martin
Yup ... I typed in the "Message" box and then clicked the "Post Reply" button ... GONE.  Back button didn't work for me.  This has happened several times before when I tried to post a response. 
My second attempt I clicked "Post Reply" - wrote my comment - the clicked "Submit".  Success!   I don't post here very often so I forget - but this seems back-asswords to me.  I'm on two other forums and a version of "post reply" does just that ... posts the message.

Re: Submit vs Post reply

Edited #3

Peter Martin

@Tom Gall,  Changed it from "Post reply" to "Post a reply" on our installation but it will be overwritten with the next Github revision unless I can convince them to make the change to the source repository.

Also note that generally you never need to use the "Post reply" button as the forum has a Quick reply" enabled at the bottom of the page when viewing a topic. The idea is that after reading the replies you can just scroll down to reply instead of going to another page. Many forums have this option, and as I recall, the old forums were also configured that way. 

Curious tho, it should retain what you typed after accidently leaving the page and returning via BACK. What browser/OS are you using, PC or mobile?

Re: Submit vs Post reply

#4
Peter Martin wrote:

Changed it from "Post reply" to "Post a reply" on our installation but it will be overwritten with the next Github revision unless I can convince them to make the change to the source repository.

Thanks for that ... makes a little more sense!

I did use the "Quick Reply" box for my message.  But I didn't scroll down far enough (only ImgBB and Postimage buttons + ATTACHMENTS were in view) and the "Post Reply" button was in full view in the upper RH corner.  Maybe the "Submit" button should be moved directly under the message box. :)  I failed to scroll down far enough to see it.  Sorry if I'm being a PITA. :|

I'm using Firefox on a Mac desktop.  The back button usually works ... but not in this case.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.