WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Something Old and Something New

Posts

Something Old and Something New

#1

Something Old and Something New

When I graduated to my Stubby 1000 from the JET 12-36 I naturally got into large bowl work.  Of course, I soon found out that one runs out of space to display such stuff in fairly short order.

I turned this 22" salad bowl in Ambrosia maple

While the bowl was turned to about 1/4" the rim was left fat

The finished piece has sat around for years, and while people were impressed with the size and color, I was bothered by its big flat rim as it made the bowl look very heavy.  I recently redid the vacuum system for my lathe and decided to violate the "never return" rule.  I put the bowl back on the lathe, cranked up the vac to 28", and returned the rim so that the outside edge is still sharp but now the rim is rolled into the inside surface.

What a huge difference in the feel of the bowl!  The whole thing was lightened up visually and the rim has a lovely "feel" and works with my personal bowl design preference.  SWMBO has approved the "new" bowl for use and display.

On the new front, I found this jar hiding in one of my few remaining Red Maple log sections.

10x5 with my usual lacquer/wax finish.

I'm gonna be disappointed when my Red Maple stash is gone.  Have to look for more.

Comment welcome


Re: Something Old and Something New

#2

Looks like you broke the rule to........

....good advantage Mark, working thru the old finish is no picnic!


Re: Something Old and Something New

#3

Re: Something Old and Something New

On large bowls, I like a tapered rim in the reverse of what you did. It leaves a sharper corner for the thumb to get a better purchase and lifting the bowl one handed feels more secure with the sharper edge on the inside.


Re: Something Old and Something New

#4

Design Language

I think of a bowl as consisting of 3 parts: the outside curve, the inside shape, and the rim.  In my view, the outside curve is, essentially architectural; it works, with or without a foot ring, to support the other elements.  The inside shape is the working potential; it determines what it will hold.  The rim, then, works to hold those two elements together.  I've done bowls with essentially no rim, bringing inside and outside to a knife edge or a very narrow flat.  I've done some with a very wide rim that included various kinds of augmentation so that the rim and its texture etc. really become the reason for the design.

As you mention the edge grip, I find that I really like the "thumb feel" of the rolled inside edge.  But that's pure preference.

Cheers


Re: Something Old and Something New

#5

Lyle Jamieson

Re: Something Old and Something New

I like that rim treatment Mark, It is inviting. 


Re: Something Old and Something New

#6

Good Comment

It does invite being touched.

Thanks


Re: Something Old and Something New

#7

So True, Jamie

at least as far as the finish goes.  20 years ago I settled on Waterlox , both red and blue.  Haven't found anything to replace them for bowls so it was easy to get things to match.


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.