WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

dull finisg with BLO

Posts

dull finisg with BLO

#1

dull finisg with BLO

I watched a turning video in which the turner used multiple coats of tung oil to get a fairly shiny finish on his bowl. He was going for a glass-like finish by adding additional coats of what he called "shine juice", which is nothing more than the old three equal parts resin, oil and thinner. (He used shellac, BLO, and alcohol.) And he did get a beautiful shiny finish for his considerable effort. None of this is really new to me-- except the long "drying" times , namely overnight, for each coat of tung oil. So I thought I would give it a try. But I used boiled linseed oil instead of tung oil for these initial coats of oil. The results were good looking-- kind of a rich dark brown color on this particular wood-- but it's not even slightly shiny; it's fairly dull. Is  this dullish result due to using BLO instead of tung oil? I can't think of any other reason. What do you think?


Re: dull finisg with BLO

#2

Deft

BLO not only ambers the woods heavily upon application, but it darkens further with aging.  I have grown to seriously dislike that color, and I won't use it.  Tung oil also adds amber, but not quite as much as BLO when fresh, and, as I understand it, it does not darken further with age.  BLO will cure enough to polish it in a week.  In my experience, tung oil takes a month the cure enough to polish, and this was just confirmed for me by another turner in a meeting last night. I refuse to wait that long.


I recommend Deft Clear Wood Finish Gloss Brushing Lacquer as the best of all worlds.  It does add some minimal yellow but not as much as oils.  It does pop grain, but not as much as oils.  It dries in ten minutes and can be polished in 12 hours.  It can be polished with Abralon to any degree of desired shine from satin to gloss.  I prefer going to 4000, which I call a "shiny satin".  It still looks and feels like wood, not plastic, but the reflections are bright.   ...GG


===


Re: dull finisg with BLO

#3

Re: dull finisg with BLO

Pretty much depends on if it's real tung oil, or is it thinned varnish marketed as tung oil. All that work to get a gloss finish that you could get in a few hours with lacquer. I can never understand all these mixtures and snake oil speciality mixes folks want to experiment with today, when a simple finish out of a can get you in the same place. 


Re: dull finisg with BLO

#4

Re: dull finisg with BLO

When I was  kid my grandfather gave me an old shotgun with a walnut stock.  As a budding woodworker I refinished the stock.  The legendary advice at the time was to coat it with BLO every day for a week, then every week of a month and then once a year for life.  I was fairly far into that schedule the shine was coming up nicely but still had a few dull spots.  Loaned the gun to a cousin who applied a couple of coats of varnish to "even out the shine".  I still have the gun.  Don't know how this helps you, but if you apply enough coats of BLO you can get a nice shine.


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.