Shop is built
john lucas
Now I have to get the insulation sprayed, the walls up and then the Electricity. Lots to do but it's taking shape. I already have my first log, a box elder that they were cutting down right behind me.

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
Shop is built
john lucas
Now I have to get the insulation sprayed, the walls up and then the Electricity. Lots to do but it's taking shape. I already have my first log, a box elder that they were cutting down right behind me.

Outstanding!
Re: Shop is built
jake Niedling
John - Looks like a nice size shop. Glad you're getting it built quickly. We have to have a shop's open party. 
Re: Shop is built
John K Jordan
Wow, that was quick! I want an invitation to the open house too. Or maybe to the "lets install the dust collection system" party!
JKJ
Excellent!
Lets move the tools party
john lucas
I'm going to see how it goes at first but I have to move the tools out of the basement onto my trailer, then move that all the way around the house and up the other driveway and then unload the trailer. That might be interesting. We will see how it goes.
That was fast!
George Balock
Looks good John. I’m sure you can’t wait for it to be done.
Re: Lets move the tools party
John K Jordan
Anyone nearby with a tractor with forks? You might talk me into driving over with mine if I can get the front end worked on in time - it's gotten a little squirrely lately.
JKJ
Re: Shop is built
John Scheideman
Really nice, John. I am happy for you. Even a week is too long to go without a shop!
Re: Shop is built
Sam Scalzo
Looks great John
It's the waiting that's frustrating
john lucas
Hopefully I will have the building inspection Monday. The Insulation guy is supposed to get back with me on a date to do that. I was hoping to hear from him Friday. I'm researching wall coverings right now. I use chip board on the last shop but if there is something that is reasonably priced that looks and paints better I would go with it. I plan to have this shop for the long haul (more than 4 years like the last one). My electrician is doing things after hours so It might not go as fast as I want either but he did a good job for a good price last time.
Re: It's the waiting that's frustrating
John K Jordan
>>>I'm researching wall coverings right now. I use chip board on the last shop but if there is something that is reasonably priced that looks and paints better I would go with it.
I used 4x8 sheets of 1/2" Radiata pine on all my shop walls and ceilings, put up with screws so I can remove panels if necessaary. I shopped around and found a reasonable price.
You might check at a large lumber yard. When buying 4x8 sheets of SmartSide panels from one I found out they would sell "damaged" panels at $5 each. The damage was as little as a corner ding or a very minor edge dent from the the fork lift. I didn't check if they price other sheet goods the same way - I had already bought the ply by then.
JKJ
Re: It's the waiting that's frustrating
mikeee12345
John,
Wiremold makes a variety of electrical raceways that have covers that can be removed to allow adding additional circuits and outlets along the length of the raceway. You can run this along a wall or on a ceiling to provide a versatile electrical system for a shop. Your 120V and 220V loads can share the same raceway and your outlets can be moved if your equipment is moved around in the shop. Most electrical distributors and some of the big box stores are stocking these systems. Some of these systems can be buried flush in the wall to provide a clean install so equipment and furnishings can be placed flush against the wall.
Decades ago I worked on a Japanese car factory where we used a strut channel to support lighting from the ceilings and also used the channel to route the lighting power circuits in and power drops for 120v and 220v cord ends dropping down from the ceiling to power equipment and tools.
If you plan ahead these systems end up being cheaper then installing conduit and junction boxes every time you decide to add another outlet or piece of equipment.
Re: It's the waiting that's frustrating
mikeee12345
John,
Wiremold makes a variety of electrical raceways that have covers that can be removed to allow adding additional circuits and outlets along the length of the raceway. You can run this along a wall or on a ceiling to provide a versatile electrical system for a shop. Your 120V and 220V loads can share the same raceway and your outlets can be moved if your equipment is moved around in the shop. Most electrical distributors and some of the big box stores are stocking these systems. Some of these systems can be buried flush in the wall to provide a clean install so equipment and furnishings can be placed flush against the wall.
Decades ago I worked on a Japanese car factory where we used a strut channel to support lighting from the ceilings and also used the channel to route the lighting power circuits in and power drops for 120v and 220v cord ends dropping down from the ceiling to power equipment and tools.
If you plan ahead these systems end up being cheaper then installing conduit and junction boxes every time you decide to add another outlet or piece of equipment.