WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

Posts

Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

#1

Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

Howie

I've been buying Howard's butcher block conditioner for all of my bowls and platters, but I'm now using a lot and it's getting expensive. I know I can make my own but have two questions -

what is the ratio of mineral oil to beeswax and should I add orange or lemon oil for scent.

what is a reliable source of good quality organic beeswax.

thanks

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

#2

Sorry Meant Homemade "Coating" for Food Bowls


Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

#3

Organic Bee wax?

Bill Tindall, E.Tn.

What are the specifications for "organic bee wax"?

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

#4

Re: Organic Bee wax?

Howie

natural might be easier. I want a product that has not been modified or treated through any chemical process.

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

#5

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

Bill Howatt

Seems backwards but roughly 20% beeswax and 80% mineral oil.

Heat in a double-boiler until melted and mixed. Use double-boiler to minimize fire hazard! Pour into jars and let solidify. You can sell/give away a little container with each sale or gift for finish touchups.

Don't see why you can't add a little scent to the mix but I've never done it.

Bill

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

#6

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

Doc Green

The details of preparing the mineral oil/beeswax finish is given on my website. From the home page select Articles Index and then look under Sanding andFinishes.

http://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/mineraloil.html

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

#7

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls *LINK*

David Walser

Doc Green's article gives good written directions on how to make the wax/oil mixture. For those who'd prefer to learn by watching, Mike Peace has a good how-to video on YouTube.

He also has a video showing you to use the same basic technique to make an abrasive paste -- similar to EEE-Ultra Shine, Dr. Kirk's Scratch FREEE, or the others on the market. Basically, all you do is add the abrasive powder of your choice to the wax/oil mix.

Here's a link to Mike's video on making the basic wax/oil combo:


Wax/Oil video

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

#8

Re: Organic Bee wax?

John K Jordan

>>>I want a product that has not been modified or treated through any chemical process.

You can get yellow or white beeswax. Pure beeswax is naturally yellow so it is bleached to make it white. One way to bleach is with the sun but a more common method is with chemicals. Without knowing which method was used just use the yellow.

You can buy beeswax from Amazon. The large beekeeping suppliers also sell it. A reliable source is from a local beekeeper.

Every few years I melt and filter the cappings wax from my beehives. I don't mix it with thinner and oil/varnish to make finish but use the wax directly, rubbing it onto the wood or melting it into the wood with friction or a heat gun. I put it on a couple of "decoy" peafowl eggs just a couple of days ago. We use decoy eggs to entice birds to lay their eggs where we want them. This is a peafowl decoy egg next to a decorative wooden chicken-size egg made from Olive:


JKJ

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

#9

Dennis in Southern Oregon

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

Dennis in Southern Oregon

Be sure to use organic scent! :D

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

#10

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

Ron Bauer

For the wax part of the blend I use half beeswax and half carnauba wax. The Cwax is somewhat harder giving a superior sheen to the rubbed finish. It is also food safe, being what makes M&M's melt in your mouth not in your hand.

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

#11

Re: Organic Bee wax?

mfoster vermontel.net

Just find a local beekeeper. They are likely to have plenty of wax. I have a 5 gallon bucket of it. Totally natural. Not a lot of industrial farming around here, so no pesticides get into it. Totally organic.

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

#12

Re: Organic Bee wax?

Karl_TN

It's my understanding that there's no such think as organic honey or organic bees wax because you can't control where the bees fly to get nectar and pollen.

Re: Homemade Cutting for Food Bowls

#13

Re: Organic Bee wax?

Michael Foster

Well that's true. Bees do roam, but usually stick within about a couple miles radius from the hive. There is no farming of any scale, except backyard gardens, within that distance from me, so I feel comfortable saying mine keep free of the pesticides and chemicals used in industrial agriculture.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.