Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Laurel For Turning

Posts

Laurel For Turning

#1

Laurel For Turning

Doug Reynolds

A guy in my club just cut down four good sized laurel trees (14" - 18" in diameter) and is offering the wood to the club.

So, Is laurel any good for turning?

TIA, Doug

Re: Laurel For Turning

#2

Re: Laurel For Turning

John K Jordan

What kind of laurel? If it's laurel oak (Quercus laurifolia) it's a red oak, used like other red oaks.

What ever it is, try it. Almost all wood is good for turning.

JKJ

Re: Laurel For Turning

#3

If it's Cherry laurel its toxic

Keith Newton

You might want to do some research before getting into it.

Re: Laurel For Turning

#4

Re: If it's Cherry laurel its toxic

Karl_TN

Keith,

Research in toxicity proved interesting.

Here's what AAW Advisor Hockenbery says about Cherry Laurel: "I have turned 15-20 natural edge bowls from cherry laurel and maybe 1 or 2 small twice turned bowls. And have seen at least 50 pieces turned from it by other turners."

See ref: http://www.aawforum.org/community/index.php?threads/cherry-laurel.12563/

Just like it is in cherry, plum and peach trees, the hydrogen cyanide in Cherry Laurel appears to be concentrated in the leaves, twigs and seed pits.

Re: Laurel For Turning

#6

Re: If it's Cherry laurel its toxic

Don Evans

The article you site, said the leaves, twigs and leave are toxic. No indication the wood is harmful.

Don

Re: Laurel For Turning

#7

I do not claim to be an expert...

GaryG in MD

...but I have paid attention to many lists of wood allergies and sensitivities over the years and have published a number of them in our newsletter.

I had a reaction once, so I do pay attention. (The wood was sold to me as "padauk", but it was really a rosewood.) I will NOT even think of turning cocobolo. "Either you are or you will be." I once had a picnic in a patch of poison ivy. I wasn't. Then I was. I understand sensitizers!

IMO, this is by far the "best" by my definition:

http://www.wood-database.com/wood-articles/wood-allergies-and-toxicity/#hp

I have checked my old lists and this link and haven't come up with much for laurel except the above makes a note that Indian Laurel can be a rare skin irritant.

I would take reasonable precautions but wouldn't be overly concerned. There are many things out there that you should watch out for. Read thru the list(s) to become aware of the real baddies. ...GG

Re: Laurel For Turning

#8

Sorry about being wrong.

Keith Newton

I had picked some up off the curb a few years ago, and thought I had read that all parts were toxic, so didn't do anything with it. Too bad, it was some nice looking wood with lots of figure. My bad.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.