WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

10th Aniversary

Posts

10th Aniversary

#1

10th Aniversary

jorge

What would happen to you if you forget your anniversary?

Ashamed to confess that last june 27th was the 10th anniversary of me and PM3520b. I forgot it completely until last week when after a stretch of bitter cold days, there was a thaw and lots of rain, one morning the lathe bed was all rusted. Generous applications of WD40 and vigorous scrubbing with steel wool, wipping with rags and repeat until there was no rust in sight, then the same for the underside of tail stock, banjo and head followed with shining with 600 and renaissance wax. Now everything slides around like a dream.

So I did remember her when she was a beautiful virgin and now she looks like what she is, a mother of some 2,000 bowls and some other pieces.

Other than cosmetic painting, what should I give her? A new belt? What else may brake down eventually?

Re: 10th Aniversary

#2

making amends

John K Jordan

>>>Other than cosmetic painting, what should I give her? A new belt? What else may brake down eventually?

What my Lovely Bride of 48 years likes most is going to a nice restaurant, preferably across the ocean.

Perhaps apologize for your lapse by feeding your lathe some nice african blackwood, cocobolo, persimmon, holly, or dogwood. All hurt feelings will be forgotten.

Having a set of spindle bearings, new belt, and spare power switch on hand might be useful sometime before the 20th anniversary. The only other thing I know of that sometimes breaks is the VFD, but if bought from PM might cost more than a nice diamond necklace.

How about a nice set of Robust tool rests, if you don't have them? Would make any lathe happy..

JKJ

Re: 10th Aniversary

#3

Re: making amends

jorge

Thanks for the chuckle John! She has already a set of Robust tool rests and next time I drive to a city I will get her a blanket to prevent condensation. the salt air is wicked.

And yes, I will have spares on hand , good idea.

Re: 10th Aniversary

#4

Re: 10th Aniversary

Dick Coers

Just past my 20th anniversary with my Oneway 2436.

Re: 10th Aniversary

#5

Re: 10th Aniversary

David Walser

To prevent rust, use Boeshield T-9. It was developed by Boeing to provide corrosion protection for bare metal surfaces under extreme conditions. It’s available from CSUSA, which is where I got my can years ago. But, I it’s also available at Woodcraft, Rockler, and other fine retailers.

Re: 10th Aniversary

#6

Thanks David!


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.