WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Vac pump questions

Posts

Vac pump questions

#1

Vac pump questions

Charlie belden

Am considering a vac chuck set up and have questions about min. Requirements of vac pump

1. Minimum cfm

2. Min vac in inches of mercury

Harbor freight has vac pumps that pull 2.5 to 3 cfm for about $100. Pump would probably not see a lot of use so I can’t see getting a Gast.

Any useful info will be grately appreciated.

Re: Vac pump questions

#2

Re: Vac pump questions

John K Jordan

One place to look is Joe Woodworker's vacuum chucking page:

https://www.joewoodworker.com/veneering/vacuumchucking.htm

This is meant for the person building his own vacuum chucking system from components, basically everything except the pump. (He sells the bearings, fittings, etc. at pretty good prices.)

He talks a little about vacuum pump requirements. The vacuum pressure needed depends on the area of the chuck, the weight of the piece, the speed turned, the porosity of the wood, any leaks in the system. He shows the simple math to calculate the force but doesn't make specific recommendations, only this:

"I can only suggest one thing... the bigger, the better. Several of our customers are using 3 CFM vacuum sources for chucking but most are opting for 5 CFM` vacuum sources."

A more powerful pump is not a problem as long as you put a bleeder valve to reduce the force if needed. A vacuum gauge can help.

I've heard that people are happy with vacuum chucking systems from here:https://www.frugalvacuumchuck.com/

He sells reconditioned pumps with complete systems or kits. The prices don't look bad to me.

JKJ

Re: Vac pump questions

#3

Re: Vac pump questions

Don Orr

My home built system uses a small vac pump rated at 1.5 CFM and is the dry vane type. I typically get 15-20" of vac which is sufficient for what I do. Bigger piece could probably use more though. I use 4" diameter drums. Larger drums having more area on which the atmosphere can press would do as well with large pieces. Another thing to consider with the HF pumps is that they are the oil bath type which spews a very fine oil mist into your work space. Some sort of filter or capture is needed. An intake filter is good to have to keep dust out of the pump. Lots of available info on several forums and websites. Have fun-they are very useful.

Re: Vac pump questions

#4

Re: Vac pump questions

Paul Grenier

I bought the Plug and Play version from FrugalVacuum.com and have been very happy with to. It'll pull 25 - 27 and that is more than sufficient IMHO. Price was very reasonable.

Re: Vac pump questions

#5

Re: Vac pump questions

jorge

Charlie,

I got a 6 cf/m in an overstock site for $75. It is not a continuos duty, it was meant to take ot freon from refrigeration units. It never got me down! Yes it overheats in about 20 minutes, but you can acomplish a lot in that time window. Google overstocks, I don't remember got mine mine whe my lathe was a Nova, so it was 12 or 13 years ago. For the adapter and vac chucs, I went with the Oneway and never looked back. Don't get small chucks, the bigger ones wor a lot better...

Re: Vac pump questions

#6

Little Harbor Freight pumps work great

Dick Coers

I just don't vent the exhaust into the air. I started with a cheap fuel filter on the pump exhaust, but that didn't last long. Now I run a small hose from the pump into a bucket with a couple paper towels in it. No more oil mist in the air. Hardly any capacity is needed unless you have a vacuum leak in the system.

Re: Vac pump questions

#7

Re: Little Harbor Freight pumps work great

Doc Green

I have a friend who has one of the HF oil-filled pumps. It does a good job. He loves it.

An oil-filled pump will typically pull a vacuum of 29+ inches of mercury. This is about 15% better than a typical dry vane pump (Gast). If you are concerned about the oil, run the exhaust through a bucket of paper towels as Dick suggested.

By all means include a vacuum gauge and a bleed valve in your system.

Vacuum chucks and rotary adapters do not have to be complicated. If you send me an email, I will tell you where you can find detailed explanations of how to build vacuum chucks and rotary adapters. If I gave it to you here, someone would accuse me of plugging my book, a description of which you can find on my website - which you can find by searching for Doc Green Woodturner. :D

Re: Vac pump questions

#8

Re: Vac pump questions

jorge

Don,

I have a filter in the exhaust side, but i installed the unit so it vents to the outside of the shop, no fine oil mist inside.

Re: Vac pump questions

#9

Doc Green's book

John K Jordan

>>>If I gave it to you here, someone would accuse me of plugging my book.. :D

I have no dog in this race so I'll plug Doc's book, a simple recommendation: "get one". There!

Just reading the title should get the woodturner's blood pumping:

Fixtures and Chucks for Woodturning: Everything You Need to Know to Secure Wood on Your Lathe (Advice & Projects for Beginners & Advanced Turners)

More here on Doc's web site: http://www.docgreenwoodturner.com/fixchuckindex.html

Or just click here and get yourself a Christmas present: Doc Green's book on Amazon

While at it, maybe get one for a friend. (I just did.)

JKJ

Re: Vac pump questions

#10

Bill Blasic

Re: Doc Green's book

Bill Blasic

I agree with John a great book, mine is even autographed :D

Re: Vac pump questions

#11

I also agree. Great book

john lucas

Most any question asked by new turners is answered in that book. Well worth the read. Mine is going to the club to be purchased and funds go into the club. I will have about 200 woodworking and turning books that are going on the table. I will miss them but just won't have room for bookshelves in the new house. Of course I'll keep a few like Richard Raffen's book on bowls, and a few others that I use for reference.

Re: Vac pump questions

#12

Re: Little Harbor Freight pumps work great

Don Evans

I want to thank Doc for going to the effort it took to write this, but most important to me: Thank you for not making the title "Everything you need to know about" or "Everything about", or something along those lines!

I can buy Doc's book because I now refuse to purchase anymore books with the above in the title. Just my personal thing from past experiences purchasing books!

The price is very reasonable I think, thanks Doc.....

Don

Re: Vac pump questions

#13

Everything you need to know . . .

Doc Green

Wow, Don - I hope you don't read the strip of text across the bottom of the front cover! You may have to return the book. :\

Editors, being a peculiar sort, do things like that and the author has no control. I don't know why.

Thanks to everyone who plugged the book for me. That was not my intention.

Re: Vac pump questions

#14

Re: Everything you need to know . . .

John K Jordan

>>>Thanks to everyone who plugged the book for me. That was not my intention.

Sorry, when you write a book like that you just have to live with it. :)

I buy a lot of books. Someday I'll make a list of the books that are a waste of money.

JKJ

Re: Vac pump questions

#15

I also shy away from any book titles that .......

JamieDonaldson

....end with "for Dummies!"

Re: Vac pump questions

#16

Those books are made for me Jamie


Re: Vac pump questions

#17

Re: Everything you need to know . . .

Don Evans

I did see that Doc, But it's not the title of the book..

Also, don't take my message as 100% it was tongue in cheek sort of.

It just seems that most of the books that are informative type books now days have that title.

A lot of the books I've ordered over the years will have titles like that and they are a long way from being informative with new information.

My last venture was in the area of airbrushing, I really knew nothing about it, so I had lot of questions pertaining to things like what do the different size needles do. Does the small needle make a finer line or the larger ones. Turns out it was the opposite of what I thought it might be, the smaller the finer line. So then, what is the smallest available. I still don't know the diffinitive answer to that but I think it is .2mm which I now have.

That is just one example of many, seems like that is something one would need to know.

Don

Re: Vac pump questions

#18

Re: I also shy away from any book titles that ....

Don Evans

I get your drift Jamie but they are great starters on a new subject I think.

I'll admit, I've never purchased one but I have read a couple in the book store.

Don

Re: Vac pump questions

#19

Re: Vac pump questions

Charlie belden

Thanks to all.

Was on the frugalvacuum?.. site, the 15 minute set up system selected, with the extra hoses and pipe for additional chucks $310 total, ready to check out. Provided name address and credit card info - and couldn’t place the order - button not working. Was going to call and place the order by phone - but was going to have to wait ‘til Monday. With the extra time to think about it I realized that I have turned enough bowls and plates and probably would seldom use a vacuum chuck.

So now I have $310 I can spend on something else. Don’t need any more turning tools, scroll chucks, jaw sets, captured hollowing systems, sharpening systems, buffer motor or buffing wheels. Maybe another flex shaft for my old Foredom and a reciprocating handpiece.

Any suggestions?

Re: Vac pump questions

#20

Re: Vac pump questions

John lucas

When you have a vacuum chuck within easy access you find that you use it a lot. I have mine set up with the hand wheel bored to accept the bearing from the hose going to the motor so it can be instantly set up. Just put the chuck on. Plug in the bearing, bring up the tailstock to hold it. Turn on the pump and start turning.

Re: Vac pump questions

#21

a terrible problem to have

John K Jordan

>>>So now I have $310 I can spend on something else. Don’t need any more turning tools, scroll chucks, jaw sets, captured hollowing systems, sharpening systems, buffer motor or buffing wheels. Maybe another flex shaft for my old Foredom and a reciprocating handpiece.

Any suggestions?

Some suggestions, only to help prevent burning the hole in your pocket:

- Rather than use the Foredom with a recip head, consider an Automach carver which with a variety of chisels will easily deplete your extra cash. Fun to use.

- A second Foredom is better than a second shaft and handpiece. I like to keep different bits ready to go. I actually have a third one, older, if you want it.

- Every woodturner can make good use of a Best Wood Tools carving and finishing stand. I use it on every bowl or platter.

- Invest in the future. Donate a bit to Woodcentral!

- A nice stash of premium wood.

- A Vermec sphere jig is the best available (IMO). Also good fun.

JKJ

Re: Vac pump questions

#22

Re: a terrible problem to have

Charlie belden

>Some suggestions, only to help prevent burning the hole in your pocket:

>- Rather than use the Foredom with a recip head, consider an Automach carver which

> with a variety of chisels will easily deplete your extra cash. Fun to use.

Have the foredom handpiece and chisels that does the same thing

> - A second Foredom is better than a second shaft and handpiece.

> I like to keep different bits ready to go. I actually have a third one,

> older, if you want it.

I’ve got a quick change handpiece along with a collet handpiece from my old jewelry making days. And being retired a doing turning is for fun, time not being money. But thanks for the offer of your old foredom.

> - Every woodturner can make good use of a Best Wood Tools carving and finishing stand.

> I use it on every bowl or platter.

Have the Trent Bosch carving stand - the one you can mount a scroll chuck that I traded for several years back and still haven’t used.

- Invest in the future. Donate a bit to Woodcentral!

> - A nice stash of premium wood.

I’ve got more wood than I’ll ever use so I’m giving the best stuff to a few luthiers and the best turners in our club. Turns out the Bradford pear tree trunk, sawn, stickers and stacked them that’s been under a tarp on my driveway for eight years made an instrument makers eyes light up

> - A Vermec sphere jig is the best available (IMO). Also good fun.

I can turn spheres without a jig - another Been There, Done That, Got The T shirt thing.

I like the idea of donating the money to WC. Been a few years since I kicked in to support this place. Will do that tomorrow.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Re: Vac pump questions

#23

Joe Fleming

Re: Vac pump questions

Joe Fleming

Here is another vote for Frugal. Great people too.

Re: Vac pump questions

#24

Joe Fleming

Re: I also shy away from any book titles that ....

Joe Fleming

The "Dummies" books are usually quite good. Or I am very dumb.

Re: Vac pump questions

#25

Dick Hines

Re: Vac pump questions

Dick Hines

Charlie was talking about Gast Vac pumps. Some years ago there was an add in a catalog listing Gast vac pumps for under $100. I can't remember how many there were but they all sold in like 2 days. Doc may remember. Anyway I bought one and use it all the time. I don't know what I would do if it dies. I know I could not get replacement for what I paid for the one I have.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.