Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Quick question

Posts

Quick question

#1

Jim Barbour

Quick question

Jim Barbour

I have been asked if there is a glossary of shapes for woodturning. I don’t know of such a thing, but before I say no, I’d like to poll the collective wisdom. I understand that there is really not agreement in pottery as to the names of various vessels, and expect the same thing to be the case in woodturning, but I have been pleasantly wrong before.

Of course nearly everything is made up of compilations of coves, beads, and flats, but some of the combos have names; ogee, bird’s beak, fillet, etc. There should be a visual glossary out there somewhere, but half an hour on google has not helped.

I am familiar with this one: https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/the-profiles-used-in-turning-spindles-3536934

Thanks in advance.

Re: Quick question

#2

here's one

John K Jordan

This was posted on one forum or another, can't remember. Some of these are unfamiliar to me, I suspect some have alternate names more widely used some places in the world.


This came from a .PDF file which may be a little "crisper" but I don't know how to attach it here.

I may have seen something useful in one of my books, but I'll have to check later today - I have to run now and get ready for some quality time with a room full of kindergartners at the church. :)

JKJ

Re: Quick question

#3

Re: here's one

Mike Schwing

This is great! Thanks John.

Re: Quick question

#4

Re: Quick question

John lucas

Richard Raffens book for bowl.shapes. Chris Stott and Raffen both have books on Box shapes.

Re: Quick question

#5

Jim Barbour

Re: Quick question

Jim Barbour

Thanks everyone. That is exactly what I needed. Now, to get the numbering so it is not completely nuts!!

Re: Quick question

#6

Victorian woodturning and woodwork

John lucas

From.the Astragal.press. it has tons of drawings of turned architectural.details. I find it really helpful when designing things.

Re: Quick question

#7

another, perhaps more sensible diagram

John K Jordan

I noticed a nice diagram in Raffan's book, "Turning Wood" in the Centerwork chapter. Just the basic shape names, especially good for the beginner

Along with the basic shape names he includes some tool suggestions for each shape.

I shouldn't upload copyrighted stuff here but if you have that book take a look:

- on page 69 in the 1985 edition

- on page 101 in the 2001 and 2008 editions.

JKJ

Re: Quick question

#8

Jim Barbour

Re: Quick question

Jim Barbour

Thanks again to both Johns.

Re: Quick question

#9

Another Set of Drawings

Don Stephan

Pages 17-21 of "The Practice of Woodturning" (1996) by Mike Darlow.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.