Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Aluminum foil

Posts

Aluminum foil

#1

Dick Hines

Aluminum foil

Dick Hines

This hint could save you some hate from your wife. I was filling up a small CA bottle and to save the counter top I put down a small piece of aluminum foil to keep the CA off the counter.

When I picked up the foil there was a couple of small dots of CA on the counter. Ca will eat through aluminum foil. Who knew???

Re: Aluminum foil

#2

Re: Aluminum foil

Roger

Dick, I wish that a little CA on the counter was the worst I've done to "annoy" the wife !!! This could be a new and endless thread!

Re: Aluminum foil

#3

Re: Aluminum foil

Don Orr

Yikes! Who knew is right. Thanks for the warning. Waxed paper works well.

Re: Aluminum foil

#4

Re: Aluminum foil

John K Jordan

Another thing that works well is to transfer glue in the shop instead of the kitchen.

I have some big rolls of aluminized mylar (thanks, JL) which seems impervious to any shop chemical I've tried. I haven't tried nitric acid yet. It's great for keeping the workbench clean with glue-ups, paint and finish, carburetor rebuilds, electric shear repair, and peacock dissection.

JKJ

Re: Aluminum foil

#5

Dick Hines

Re: Aluminum foil

Dick Hines

I keep my CA in the fridge. I buy it in the large bottles.

Re: Aluminum foil

#6

small shop fridge

John K Jordan

>>>I keep my CA in the fridge. I buy it in the large bottles.

Me too. Years ago I discovered the benefits of a small shop fridge. I also set large bottles of CA in a secondary cardboard containment tray, a lifesaver when one spontaneously developed a leak. Discovery: an old microfiche box will well contain 8oz of thin CA.

For me a shop fridge is especially handy near the barn: CA, cold water, spare Sugru, animal meds, cool bearing shaft for press fit, short term storage of aborted llama fetus...

JKJ

Re: Aluminum foil

#7

Re: small shop fridge

Don Stephan

That farm is tough on peacocks and llamas. Those vet student turners need to keep a closer eye on the farmer!

Re: Aluminum foil

#8

down on the farm

John K Jordan

>>>That farm is tough on peacocks and llamas. Those vet student turners need to keep a closer eye on the farmer!

Always something interesting going on!

I understand it's actually pretty common for llamas to spontaneously abort early in the gestation, especially with first time pregnancy. The next time she delivered an amazing crira, now 18 months old:


The peacock was injured slightly just above the beak when a couple of months old. Unfortunately, the scar tissue warped the beak so he couldn't eat the proper food. Eating what he could, he didn't grow as needed and developed a twisted leg bone (diagnosed by one of the vet students!) and according to the actual vet didn't have long to live. We suspect a calcuim/potassium ratio imbalance which can lead to softened bones. The dissection was an amazing educational experience for all of us. I have about closeup photos, probably not best to view at dinnertime.

A guinea on a nest in the brush presented us with seven chicks today. It's interesting - ALL the female guineas came to her side and helped with the little ones all day. I guess it takes a village...

JKJ

Re: Aluminum foil

#9

Joe Fleming

Re: Aluminum foil

Joe Fleming

Isn't the aluminum foil primarily for protective hats and window liners? "They're coming to take me away! Ha, ha." :)

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.