Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Looking for a formula

Posts

Looking for a formula

#1

Looking for a formula

Ron Borowicz

I am wondering if there is a formula to calculate the length of a segment?

If you have a bowl that is 10" wide outside diameter and an inside diameter of 9.5" how long do the segments need to be to cover that 1/2" difference between OD and ID. To make this lip I will cut 8 segments at 22.5 degrees each and glue them up and then glue the lip to the bowl and finish turn the bowl.

Is there a "formula" that I can plug Outside diameter and Inside diameter into that will give me the length and width of each segment.

I have already made the "lip" for my bowl (it is not the OD and ID I have put above...). To make it was trial and error and after about the 3rd iteration with scrap lumber I got it close enough to glue up. Is there a formula that I can use to eliminate this trial and error? Thanks!

Re: Looking for a formula

#2

Re: Looking for a formula

Bill Howatt

You need a segmented turning calculator and you can find lots by Googling.

Here is a free one but I have no idea it meets your needs or how good it is.

http://marleyturned.com/Shop_Utilities.html

Bill

Re: Looking for a formula

#3

Re: Looking for a formula

Ron Borowicz

Plugged my bowls actual dimensions into this calculator and it was very close. Tolerable for what I am doing. Thanks!

Re: Looking for a formula

#4

Re: Looking for a formula

William Duffield

While a formula is a completely valid and accurate way to accomplish this, I would instead use a compass and straight edge and draw a segment or two out on a big sheet of paper, and make the measurements from the full size drwing. That way, you would be able to make a full size pattern to cut the bricks from, and you could use your bandsaw to remove excess inside and outside material, saving you time rough shaping on the lathe. For the larger radius of your lip, that you have already made, you might have needed to use a beam compass or a pair of trammel points. There have been times I didn't have a sheet of paper large enough to lay a project out on, so I just laid it out on my bench top, and erased it later with some Behcol.

Re: Looking for a formula

#5

Re: Looking for a formula

mikeee12345

Drawing a full sized template for a segmented piece allows you to take measurements directly from the drawing and apply it directly to the work piece. I have a large roll of craft paper that I use for various purposes which also works for drawing full size templates for shop projects and wood turning projects.

Re: Looking for a formula

#6

Re: Looking for a formula

Paul grover

I use woodturners resource segment calculated,it’s free. I noticed that there is constant size differences for od of segment. Example calculate a 6” or,then calculate a 6 1/4 od. The difference will be a constant number for 1/4” increments . I also do draw to scale on graph paper.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.