Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Finishing Holly

Posts

Finishing Holly

#1

Finishing Holly

Philip Duffy

I thought I knew how to handle/finish holly but the current batch of nice sized bowls escapes me.. Do I recall correctly that a water based finish lets the color alone, or is it a wax? If a wax which one??? So far I have a mess. P.

Re: Finishing Holly

#2

My go-to finish for Holly is.........

JamieDonaldson

….most often lacquer, which doesn't change the white color at all. Most all oil finishes add a tint of yellow due to the linseed oil component in the mixture.

Re: Finishing Holly

#3

Re: Finishing Holly

John C Lucas

My go to finish when i want to change the color as little as possible is Krylon Fixativ. It is designed to spray on chalk drawi gs to protect them. On some woods it will not change the color at all and doesnt even look like you.put a finish on it. Woods like cedar will still change. Do a test. I put 3 or 4 coats on and then buff lightly with Bealle system to make it more glossy.

Re: Finishing Holly

#4

Dick Hines

Re: Finishing Holly

Dick Hines

Phil, I use Deft lacquer on holly. Most of the time Matt. 3-4 coats , sanding between costs.

Re: Finishing Holly

#5

Re: Finishing Holly

Don Stephan

Phil: Your query overlooked the intended usage of the bowls, and that can make a huge difference in finish choices.

Re: Finishing Holly

#6

Re: Finishing Holly

Philip Duffy

Hard to predict, Don. Once sold, someone will put them on the shelf, others run them in the dishwasher!@!!

Re: Finishing Holly

#7

Re: Finishing Holly

Don Stephan

Agreed, but I would not recommend a finish without knowing the desired level of protection.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.