Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Nova Galaxi lathe

Posts

Nova Galaxi lathe

#1

Nova Galaxi lathe

Rod Peterson--Ormond Beach, FL

So, I was in a Woodcraft recently and saw a Nova Galaxi on floor display and marked down several hundred dollars. Should I have done something stupid?

Rod

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

#2

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

Bill Boehme

Stupid is as stupid does. :b

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

#3

Jim Barbour

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

Jim Barbour

I had a Nova DVR for several years, upgraded to a Nova DVR XP, and have never had a problem with either one that was not resolved quickly by the support folk.

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

#4

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

Rod Peterson--Ormond Beach, FL

I'm pretty sure I don't know what that means.

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

#5

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

Bill Boehme

I guess it wouldn't mean anything if you haven't seen Forrest Gump.

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

#6

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

Chuck Engstrom

World of Woodturners chat group presently has a "Buy the Lathe?" yes/no flow chart under discussion; as you might expect, most of the issues presented resolve toward YES.

Or you can consult your Magic 8-Ball.

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

#7

Is it stupid to buy a moneymaking machine?

Dick Coers

I've paid for my Oneway 2436 a couple times over. I've owned it for 20 years this year. Quality machinery is never a stupid purchase unless you never use it. No idea about that machine, but if what I read from quite a few turners is the majority, you'll still be wishing you bought a Oneway or Robust.

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

#8

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

John in Lutz

First, I like to say the I have a Nova DVR XP. Never had any problem with it, really enjoy it.

Second, I guess the issue it what do you want to use it for. For instance, I have a garage shop with limited space. I have another tool that sits at the end of my Nova so when I need to use tools that would bump against that tool I rotate the head stock. I use Trent Bosch's stabilizer with the head stock rotated and can do any hollowing I want. I do not do any production turning or sell my turning. All are gifts for family, friends or charities.

So, If you are mostly amateur just having fun you will enjoy the Nova lathe. If you have a big shop and want to turn for profit then you may want a bigger heavy duty lathe.

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

#9

Bill Blasic

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

Bill Blasic

I have had a DVR 3000 for over a dozen years and it has done everything asked of it. Its 16" capacity is more than adequate for all that I do. I have never had a desire for an AB or a Oneway. :)

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

#10

Ormond Beach

George Guadiane

I live here too. I belong to a number of clubs and stuff...

TERRIBLE with names, do I already know you?

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

#11

Re: Ormond Beach

Rod Peterson--Ormond Beach, FL

I don't think so. I'm an old Badger Ponder, came to WC probably 15 years ago. Was quite active some years back, but much more of a lurker now. I live in Tomoka Oaks. Where are you?

Rod

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

#12

Re: Ormond Beach

Barry L Elder

:D You could throw rocks at each other!

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

#13

I'm not throwing rocks at anyone.

George Guadiane

I

m Beachside about a mile north of Granada on Halifax, do near enough to get together for lunch or something, talk story and compare notes.

Re: Nova Galaxi lathe

#14

Re: I'm not throwing rocks at anyone.

Rod Peterson--Ormond Beach, FL

Shoot me an email: LRod@pobox.com

We'll exchange phone numbers and do lunch. Peach Valley might be good--either one.

Rod

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.