Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

How to cut this

Posts

How to cut this

#1

How to cut this

john lucas

Working on a project that will have cantilever shelves. It's 16" at the bottom and about 5'7" tall. I need to cut the bottom at an angle to get the entire cone tilted at an angle. The cut it so in 2 more places at the same angle for the shelves. If I had a giant bandsaw it would be pretty easy to build a jig. I can probably cut the bottom on my bandsaw but the throat isn't deep enough to cross cut the other 2 places. Jig saw or even the chainsaw come to mind. I will have to clean up the joint no matter what and will probably build some kind of jig for the router if I don't feel I can do with hand planes. Open to suggestions. Heck even drawing the lines around it at the angle will be challenging.


Re: How to cut this

#2

Joe Fleming

Re: How to cut this

Joe Fleming

John, How about a handsaw? They excel at cutting straight lines. Smaller kerf that way too. Joe

Re: How to cut this

#3

Re: How to cut this

John C Lucas

Joe. Ive been thinking of making a sort of giant miter jig for my hand saw.

Re: How to cut this

#4

Stool shortening trick

john kaner

John, how about placing a block under one side, giving you the required angle? Then using a pencil, trace a cut line around rest of shape. Kinda like shortening a long leg on a stool...

The cut will be curved, thus jig saw, reciprocating saw or oscillating tools, might work...

Hope this helps or gives better ideas!

Re: How to cut this

#5

Re: Stool shortening trick

John C Lucas

I did do that. Found the angle and im now building a jig to hold it on my bandsaw to cut the bottom. I may be able to cut the shelf pieces also since i havent glued the top cone o. Yet.

Re: How to cut this

#6

Re: How to cut this

AZ in Colorado Springs

How about a sort of offset turning? Trim the bottom, then make a jig that mimics a lathe. Chuck the base end in an offset manner. While a helper rotates the work piece you hold a pencil up and get the marks you need. Can make the cuts using a hand saw the same way.

Re: How to cut this

#7

Re: How to cut this

John C Lucas

You may laugh but i actually thought about mounting the narrow.end off.center and using a parting tool to start the cuts and finishing with a handsaw. Couldnt figure out an easy way to move the love.center that far.off center.

Re: How to cut this

#8

Steven Antonucci

If I understand the problem...

Steven Antonucci

You want to have the cone lean forward and have a couple of shelves inset into the cone too?

Assuming that is correct, I'd lay the cone down on the floor in a jig that set it at the correct angle, and then build a U shaped stand over top of it to pass a circular saw to cut the slots for the shelves. Might even get the bottom cut started that way too? Perhaps using the lathe as the holding fixture would allow you to rotate it by hand to get a clean line around the bottom? As far as the middle of the bottom goes, you might want to undercut it and install three small leveling feet?

Re: How to cut this

#9

Mike Stafford

Re: How to cut this

Mike Stafford

If you know at what angle you want to cut the cone I recommend cutting a couple of wedges that will allow you to tilt the cone until the desired angle is achieved.

Then created a straight edge that is the same height as the elevated end of the cone. Use it to scribe a line around the perimeter of the cone. Once the line is there saw the cone into two pieces with a sharp cross cut saw. You might consider scoring the scribed line with a knife to minimize any chipping during the sawing process. Sand and level the bottom as necessary.

Then borrow a laser level or a water level from someone and use it to mark the other two cuts. A water level might do the job easier as you can move it around the piece and mark it as you do so. Once you have established your cut lines repeat the process with a sharp handsaw.

Of course the process I described is easier for me to talk about than for you to do.

P.S. If you have access to a light saber cutting will be a snap. :b

Re: How to cut this

#10

Re: How to cut this

Tony - Memphis

Hmmm....thinking out loud here, but I might make a mount to keep it at the correct angle, then mount that to a lazy-Susan. That makes the cut horizontal now. Them, I might mount the router or saw such that it is also horizontal and at the correct height. Then make the cut...slowly and carefully taking small bites. Again, just thinking out loud here. You could even stop now and then as you break through and add shims with tape or screws to hold it all together as you make the last cuts. Kind of like cutting a box apart on the table saw.

Good luck!

Re: How to cut this

#11

Here is how I cut the cone

john lucas

Since I did the cone in two parts it turns out I was able to cut it on the bandsaw. I took my table saw miter jig and rigged up a large fence. Cut the bottom off. Then changed the angle and cut the top off the big cone. I used a sort of Garrot technique to hold it. I ran string around the narrow portion and then tightened it from the back with a dowel like you would tighten a garrot. Worked great. Then I mounted the smaller cone and cut it to fit. Glued the cut off from the smaller cone to the middle cone and trued everything up. Now it's ready for the shelves and base when I find time to do it. I plan to paint this column so cutting and gluing seemed like the best option.






Re: How to cut this

#12

Re: Here is how I cut the cone

Roger

Good thing you're smarter than I look!

Re: How to cut this

#13

Re: Here is how I cut the cone

Bill Boehme

Be sure to have the base extend out as far as the bottom shelf so that it won't tip over in case you use it to store your Vicmarc chucks. :) (see illustration below)


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.