Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Turn Around for Veterans

Posts

Turn Around for Veterans

#1

Turn Around for Veterans

Tom Lightner

San Diego Woodturners (SDWT) sponsors a program called Turn Around for Veterans where the VETERANS turn the pens! This program, now in it's tenth year, was started during the Iraq war as a means of mental and physical therapy for our Nations' best undergoing treatment at the Naval Medical Center, San Diego. Founded by two of our members, Nan Bushley, retired Navy nurse and Dr. Ken Roth, retired orthopedic surgeon, the effort subsequently expanded to the Wounded Warrior Battalion, Camp Pendleton and the Veterans Affairs ASPIRE Care Center in San Diego. Supported by donations from numerous sources, the program is offered to veterans at these sites free of charge. Basic turning techniques are taught by experienced SDWT volunteers making pens then advance to bottle stoppers, small bowls and other items, including acrylic pens and stoppers. The program has won wide praise from the medical community for it's special effectiveness in treating post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and traumatic brain injuries (TBI) which have become all to common on the counter terrorism battle field. For more information visit the sdwt.org website

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

#2

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

Philip Duffy

Tom, I will be visiting again in August and would like to give your program some hardwood from my garage. Will others join me in this great effort????? Philip

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

#3

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

Tom Lightner

Sure thing, Phillip! Just let me know when you are coming to San Diego! I may not be here in August but can arrange the pick up of some hard woods-especially, walnut, cherry, some maple.

Tx

Tom

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

#4

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

Barry Irby

I have walnut, cherry, oak and a few other hardwood species I would be happy to send. Do you want them cut down into blanks and if so what size? Where would I send them. How many?

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

#5

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

Tom Lightner

Barry, thanks for your offer. We prefer pen blanks cut to 3/4 square, about 5 inches long. One of those small postal boxes would be most appreciated. Mail to: Tom Lightner, 1170 Lupine Hills Drive, Vista, CA 92081.

Many thanks again! Tom

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

#6

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

Barry Irby

I will get some out to you in a day or two.

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

#7

Question......

Barry Irby

Do you want them labeled? They are going to be mostly walnut and cherry.

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

#8

Re: Question......

Tom Lightner

We can identify walnut and cherry so only rare, unusual or tropic species need ID. We cannot use cocobolo, blood wood, sycamore and a few others due to allergies.

No rush on delivery but much appreciated!

Tom

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

#9

Re: Question......

Barry Irby

Thanks for the opportunity to put some of my shorts to good use. I am sending a box of mostly cherry and walnut and few pieces of wormy white oak. There are several that are cut with the grain turned the wrong way so they are 3/4" long and 5" wide. Might be interesting.

Good luck. Let me know what happens.

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

#10

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

Tom Lightner

Barry, the box of pen blanks was delivered yesterday! WOW! Really great wood for our vets! They will especially love making pens from the wormy oak!!

I will be out of town for 10 days so won't be able to get it to a wood turning session with our vets until after the 10th of June but I will certainly take some photos of them making pens from your wood!

So nicely cut and packed in the box! Will make it easy to cut into pen blank size, drilled and glued up too!!

Many thanks, Barry

Re: Turn Around for Veterans

#11

You are absolutely welcome....

Barry Irby

I was just in the shop cutting some parts to repair my grandfather clock and some of the offcuts looked suspiciously like pen blanks. I don't want to bury you in them but if you need more let me know. And I have a lot of the wormy oak. If I cut up any more of it, I will send you some.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.