Site will be offline several hours on 8 Oct 2026

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Vicmarc chuck repair

Posts

Vicmarc chuck repair

#1

Vicmarc chuck repair

adrien

My old chuck has gotten arthritic and no longer moves smoothly when adjusting for spigot size.

While one can remove the back easily, that only exposes the gears for adjusting size, but does

not expose the slots in which the jaws slide.

Is there an article offering advice on how one might clean the various parts of such a chuck.

particularly how to access the innards so's they can be cleaned??????

Re: Vicmarc chuck repair

#2

Re: Vicmarc chuck repair

Dennis J. Gooding

I have had good luck freeing up my Vicmarc chucks by spraying WD40 liberally into the chuck and running the jaw open and closed repeatedly and finally blowing the mess out with compressed air. You might have to repeat the process in difficult cases.

Re: Vicmarc chuck repair

#3

Re: Vicmarc chuck repair

John C Lucas

Somewhere there is one but i dont know where. Its not hard but there is one tricky element. Screw the jaws all the way in. On the outside of one of the inner jaw slides there is a roll.pin that has been pressed in to keep you from o er extending the jaws. I clamp.a pair of needle nose vice grips on that roll pin and tap on the pliers to get the pin out. Once thats out you can screw the inner jaw slides all the way out. Puting them back in after cleaning is interesting. With the back removed.and the jaw slides out you should be able to clean everything that needs cleaning. When you have the back off sometimes the pins that hold the pinion gears.can fall out so be careful.

To put the jaws back in start with jaw #1. Before you insert the jaw look in the opening and crank the huck key to.spin the.ring gear. It spins counter clockwise. You will see the start of the ring gear spiral. Back up slightly and inser the 1st jaw. Crank the chuck.key clockwise until.you see the beginning of the ring gear in the next opening ounter clockwise. Insert jaw 2. Keep this up until you have them all inserted. Crank the key until the outside of all the inserts are.flush with the chuch body. If they are rank it in further a d insert the roll pin. Now your done.

Re: Vicmarc chuck repair

#4

Re: Vicmarc chuck repair

Mark Wollschlager

This isn't the first video I have seen describing disassembly and cleaning of a vicmarc, but it is pretty good. The other was from the vicmarc shop, but I can't find it just now.

https://youtu.be/-S-NZSqaPuo

Re: Vicmarc chuck repair

#5

Re: Vicmarc chuck repair

Reed Gray

Try this clip. Best one I have seen. If you don't know Robbo, his most famous clip is 'Why you don't use SRGs on bowls' He does manage to donate a little blood....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-NZSqaPuo

robo hippy

note, he is Robbo, and I am robo......

Re: Vicmarc chuck repair

#6

Excellent video on the VM chucks  *LINK*


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-NZSqaPuo

Re: Vicmarc chuck repair

#7

Re: Vicmarc chuck repair

Roger

I soaked mine in acetone. My thought was that I may have gotten a "little" CA glue in there. Turns out I may have been right, slick and easy now!

Re: Vicmarc chuck repair

#8

THANK YOU!


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.