SCHEDULED SERVER MAINTENANCE
The server may be intermittently unavailable over the next 48 hours while major upgrades are performed.

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

I thought I found some good Chrome paint *LINK*

Posts

I thought I found some good Chrome paint *LINK*

#1

I thought I found some good Chrome paint *LINK*

john lucas

Been looking for some that will stay chrome looking when handled. All that I've tried looks great until you touch it. Every clear spray I try over it turns it to satin. Alsa Easy Chrome looks like it would work but man look at the price.


https://alsacorp.com/easy-chrome/#pricing

Re: I thought I found some good Chrome paint *LINK*

#2

Re: I thought I found some good Chrome paint

Barry Irby

I was watching some show about restoring cars and they used something similar to restore the chrome. I had never heard of such a thing as chrome paint and was dubious about durability. Looked good on the car on TV, but I still question the longevity.

At the prices they show on that website, they should throw in the piece to be chromed.

Re: I thought I found some good Chrome paint *LINK*

#3

Re: I thought I found some good Chrome paint

mikeee12345

One time chroming/re-chroming can get kind of expensive, with all of the chemicals involved in the chroming process the EPA has made a lot of restrictions and requirements for running that kind of business.

Re: I thought I found some good Chrome paint *LINK*

#4

ebd

Whoah

ebd

Wow, that's some pricey stuff. What about electroplating?

Re: I thought I found some good Chrome paint *LINK*

#5

Mike Stafford

Get the 2000 ft. squared kit....

Mike Stafford

That will last you for the rest of your life.... :b

Maybe they offer financing.

Re: I thought I found some good Chrome paint *LINK*

#6

Dont tbink you can electroplate.wood.


Re: I thought I found some good Chrome paint *LINK*

#7

electroplating  bone?

John K Jordan

I thought I'd read about a way to electroplate plastic. ?? I asked Mr Google about "electroplating non-conductive materials" and he provided a list of references I don't have time to read now, but I did see a PDF of a project where it looked like some students were plating things like a bone and an acorn with copper.

Re: I thought I found some good Chrome paint *LINK*

#8

Re: electroplating  bone?

john lucas

I don't know about electroplating per se but many years ago I guy in the Nashville club made silver plated tomohaks ( I have no idea how that word is spelled) out of wood. I remember looking up the process but it was beyond my budget at that time. As I remember it wasn't that expensive just more than I wanted to pay at that time. I just looked and there are a lot of different procedures so I may have to do more reading. gotta take the grandkids back today so that's 8 hours of driving through the mountains. Won't get much done today.

Re: I thought I found some good Chrome paint *LINK*

#9

Chrome plating plastic

John Kaner

Saw something on TV. They had a chamber and a bar of chromium? Used a laser to excite the chromium and the particles covered the plastic.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.