WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Fidget-Top # 7

Posts

Fidget-Top # 7

#1

Fidget-Top # 7

Ed D.

These hybrid toys are pretty easy to make, but hard to get perfectly balanced. This Sheoak fidget-top (# 7 in the series) is the best so far.

Wanted to try out a high-speed air-assist experiment...will these little guys work as a gyroscope given enough momentum? Check out this YouTube video for the answer:

[url]=https://youtu.be/OHvyaVQ-ssw[/url]


img

Re: Fidget-Top # 7

#2

Re: Fidget-Top # 7 *LINK*

Ed Davidson

Here's a corrected click-able link to the YouTube video (below)...


img

YouTube video

Re: Fidget-Top # 7

#3

Re: Fidget-Top # 7

mikeee12345

Nice looking top Ed!

I have been using ball bearings for some of my tops and on a few of them I put a rare earth

magnet in the hole and the ball bearing holds onto the magnet. The magnet is recessed in the

hole so the bearing is exposed about half way. You can spin these upside down hanging from a

metal syrface, also allows the bearing to be replaced easily.

Re: Fidget-Top # 7

#4

Re: Fidget-Top # 7

Ed Davidson

Brilliant idea. Hope you don't mind if I give that a try...

Re: Fidget-Top # 7

#5

Re: Fidget-Top # 7

mikeee12345

Ed,

Go for it, I have also used cheap dollar store marbles for the spinning point, the glass marble provides a very hard surface which will last a long time but they are brittle and will chip if you drop them on a hard surface. I have also used the ceramic ball bearings that are available in many sizes. I have also used some of the tungsten steel bearings that are available in different sizes very tuff and durable.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.