WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

glue

Posts

glue

#1

glue

art demers

Help how does one keep the neck of the bottle of CA free I don't use every day so it just seals itself ?

Re: glue

#2

Re:  glue

John K Jordan

I keep most opened bottles of CA in a sealed container with indicator desiccant beads to keep the moisture out. (Unopened bottles are in the fridge or freezer.)

However, I keep one bottle of thin CA (Hotstuf) on the shelf above my lathe with a capillary tip so I can apply tiny drops as needed. The same bottle has been there for a couple of years.

If I do this every time the tip doesn't clog.

- after each use, I tap the bottle lightly on the base to knock any glue in the tip back into the bottle.

- holding the bottle vertically I then squeeze it to blow out any tiny drops still in the tip.

- I hold the tip near my ear and squeeze again and if I hear it "breathing" I know the tip is clear

- I keep a very thin wire that just fits the end of the capillary tip and slide it down inside at the end of the lathe session.

Note that the capillary tip will eventually degrade and I cut it off and put on another one. I think the very small tip prevents significant exchange of air and humidity which will cause the CA to set up in the bottle.

This is one of the three styles of tips I use:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H7H4NW

This is an older version of my CA storage system - I use a larger container now, easier to get into. The desiccant beads turn from blue to pink when it's time to recharge it. I keep other opened bottles this way with the caps.


Note that Mercury Adhesives use a CA bottle with the best cap I've seen. It has a good seal and a stainless steel pin the keeps the tip clear. The glue may cost a bit more but has the best warranty I've seen: they offer a live time no-questions-asked replacement policy for any bottle that goes bad, regardless of how long you've had it!

JKJ

Re: glue

#3

Re:  glue

John C Lucas

For thin CA i pu5 one of those micro applicator tips on. That not only makes.precise application possible it seems to reduce.clogging. For Medium CA i dont have a solution. Ill think i found a way only to have it clog anyway

Re: glue

#4

Dennis in Southern Oregon

Re:  glue

Dennis in Southern Oregon

Art, it also depends on the climate where you live. I live in a fairly dry climate here in Southern Oregon and I use JKJ's Slap her on the Butt and Give Her a Squeeze method for all CA glues, and simply leave the the ends un-stoppered. I almost never get a plug.

Re: glue

#5

Dennis in Southern Oregon

Re:  glue

Dennis in Southern Oregon

I forgot to add that no storage container nor desiccant is needed here.

Re: glue

#6

Brilliant...NM

Ed D.

NM...no kidding

Re: glue

#7

Re:  glue

Peter Toch

I recycle the tips from CA glue bottle. When a tip clogs up I simply replace it with a clean one. I will soak the clogged tip and its cap in a small, tightly closed, glass screw top jar, filled with enough acetone to fully submerge them for approximately 2 days and all of the hardened CA will dissolve away. I then transfer the cleaned tip and cap with a pair of tweezers to a second jar with clean acetone to removed any remaining CA. In this manner I have accumulated several tips and caps for re-use from empty CA bottles. Thus, I always have clear tips on all my bottles of CA glue. This method works great for all viscosities of CA glue.

Re: glue

#8

Re:  glue

John K Jordan

>>> soak the clogged tip and its cap in a small, tightly closed, glass screw top jar, filled with enough acetone to fully submerge them for approximately 2 days and all of the hardened CA will dissolve away.

That's a great idea! I've bought new tips before and replaced them if they got "crusty". You method is much better.

JKJ

Re: glue

#9

Re:  glue

john lucas

I do the same although I 've had trouble with my containers. Baby jars the plastic in the lid melts. Plastic jars eventually crack. Right now I don't have any in my shop.

Re: glue

#10

Re:  glue

Peter Toch

I had the same experience with containers that have any plastic in them. What I now use, and have been for many years, are a couple of the small wide mouth canning jars with the separate lid and screw on band. I think they are 6oz. jars, maybe 8oz??? The rubber-like sealing material in the lids seems to stand up to the acetone without a problem.

What I forgot to mention in my original reply was that I label my two jars "Bath 1" and "Bath 2" respectively. I first soak the clogged tip and cap in "Bath 1" for a minimum of 2 days (most of the time I forget about them and they soak for weeks). This dissolves the vast bulk of the hardened CA. Then I transfer the tip and cap over to "Bath 2" with the tweezers and let them soak for another couple of days to remove any remaining CA. After cleaning a dozen or more tips and caps this way "Bath 1" will become "dirty" looking and even "syrupy" from all the CA dissolved in it. At this point I discard "Bath 1" and pour the relatively clean acetone from "Bath 2" into the "Bath 1" jar. Refill the "Bath 2" jar with fresh acetone and you are ready to effortlessly clean many more tips and caps.

Re: glue

#11

Re:  glue

art demers

Boy you guy's great !!!! thanks a lot..... super ideas......

Re: glue

#12

Re:  glue

mikeee12345

Another option is to use the mini bottles of CA glue and you won't have to struggle with the problem.

If you purchase CA in the larger bottles you can buy small empty bottles and fill them yourself.

if you purchase a case of the mini bottles you can split the purchase with your club members.

Store them in the refrigerator and it extends the shelf life of the glue.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.