WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

E-Z tools

Posts

E-Z tools

#1

Jack Guzman from Maine

E-Z tools

Jack Guzman from Maine

I'm self taught on the lathe. I make chair parts mostly. It's all spindle work and I have all the tools I need to perform all the functions necessary for this. The reason for this post is I have been seeing ads for E-Z tools. I mean those turning tools with replaceable carbide bits. I don't see how these would be any use to me but I really don't know. I have never used one.

Anyone who uses these tools have any info on this subject that might help me decide whether I need such a thing? thanks ,Jack

Re: E-Z tools

#2

Re: E-Z tools

john kaner

Jack,

Real can of worms... Years ago they got started on I.A.P. the penturner's site. They were very friendly for new turners. Out of the box and scrape away... They were a good choice for those who chose not to learn to sharpen regular tools. Their start was the indexable heads on spiral shaft joiners and planers. Dull edge, loosen and rotate to new side. Get a chip, rotate to new side. Inexpensive 12 cutters for less than $20.00. All kinds of directions for making your own. Even kits from capn eddie... I did and very disappointing. Eats wood and after you need to start sanding with rough sandpaper and then move to 80 grit.

I won a benefit auction here and received some beautiful Hunter tools. Thanks to John K. Jordan. He was kind enough to enclose some very appreciated items.

They do hog off wood and make for quick bark removal. Then move to your regular tools. Less sanding and who doesn't like that?

IAP was first time I heard 80 grit gouge...

Just my 2 cents....

Re: E-Z tools

#3

Re: E-Z tools

Donna Banfield

The EZ-Wood tools were designed to get someone woodturning without the sometimes steep learning curve of knowing how to use the traditional bevel rubbing tools without catches. And they do the job.

However, they are a scraper. And while they will remove wood, it doesn't leave a very good surface. Certainly not as clean that you can get with proper presentation of a very sharp spindle or bowl gouge. You will do a lot of sanding.

I do not include the Hunter carbide tools in this category. They can scrape, but can also be used as a cutting tool, with the proper presentation. John Lucas has some great videos in YouTube that explain how to use the Hunter Tools.

My opinion: the EZ Wood tools should not be the only tools on your tool rack. When my beginner students ask about them, I give them this analogy - when you were a kid, did you have training wheels on your bike? If they say yes, I then ask - what happened when your parents took them off? Did you fall and get hurt, (until you learned how to ride without them?) And did you initially want the training wheels back on your bike? That's kinda what using the EZ Wood tools will be like for the beginner.

Re: E-Z tools

#4

Jack Guzman from Maine

I get it

Jack Guzman from Maine

Thanks. Kind of what I had thought. I don't need training wheels. Right now I'm at the point where I'm starting to get the hang of my detail gouges. Tricky tool.---Jack

Re: E-Z tools

#5

Jack Guzman from Maine

Re: E-Z tools

Jack Guzman from Maine

I guess I'll do without. If I got any of them I'd have to enlarge my turning tool rack. thanks---Jack

Re: E-Z tools

#6

Joe Bradshaw

Re: I get it

Joe Bradshaw

Jack, I have several E-Z turning tools. They work great for turning alabaster. Not so great for wood.

Joe

Re: E-Z tools

#7

The E-Z tools are way overpriced for.....

jamiedonaldson

....what are basically scrapers, and for the same money you could buy 2 real turning tools!

Re: E-Z tools

#8

Re: E-Z tools

John K Jordan

I agree with Donna, they don't cut cleanly.

If you want carbide, perhaps to avoid sharpening, try the Hunter tools as mentioned. A Hunter Hercules and Osprey, for example, can easily be used both as a scraper and in the bevel-rubbing mode just like a gouge for a very clean cut. They are so sharp even the scraping mode is cleaner than the cheap flat-topped carbide cutters. I certainly use the gouges as well but use the Hunters where appropriate.

JKJ

Re: E-Z tools

#9

I made a mistake...

john kaner

I thought I was finished and added another paragraph, which made it look like the Hunter and EZ were in the same class. They're not, not even in the same zip code, forget class...

Should have been like this:

They (EZ) do hog off wood and make for quick bark removal. Then move to your regular tools. Less sanding and who doesn't like that?

I won a benefit auction here and received some beautiful Hunter tools. Thanks to John K. Jordan. He was kind enough to enclose some very appreciated items.

Added:

The Hunter tools are so sharp and cut extremely well. John Lucas videos are the best! Over the years I have learned so much.

I can blame old age, as I learned very young that it was a poor craftsman who blamed his tools...

Really need to preview before posting.

Re: E-Z tools

#10

Re: The E-Z tools are way overpriced for.....

Bruce Schoenleber

Amen to that.

Re: E-Z tools

#11

Jack Guzman from Maine

John Lucas

Jack Guzman from Maine

I too have benefitted from his input. He shares his knowledge quite freely.

Re: E-Z tools

#12

From a non-turner...

Tony - Memphis

Thought I'd jump in with a different perspective. I am not a turner. I am a furniture builder. I love the EZ tools. I bought them after I had been using regular tools for a while. I don't have the same issue with surface finish and I certainly don't start with 80 grit! (don't own any!). I never really thought of them as a way to avoid sharpening. I can see that I guess.

To qualify, 90% of what I turn is spindle work - furniture parts. I have never had the time to become proficient with turning tools like most of the folks here have. The EZ tools are a quick way to achieve the results I need. Sometimes, they are nice to use for cleaning up a cove or a sharp detail that I am not skilled enough to do with a gouge (and not risk ruining the piece). Can't say that I've ever used them for a whole job - I use a mix of them with the regular tools. Can't say I wouldn't be ok without them either! I do like them though. I also use a beader and a few small coving tools that I made (scrapers too I guess).

I have to agree that I would suggest a beginner use their money on a good set of gouges for their versatility. I enjoy watching the good turners do amazing things with one gouge! That's talent!

Tony

Re: E-Z tools

#13

Lyle Jamieson

Re: From a non-turner...

lyle Jamieson

It does not take talent. I am a good example of that. Using a gouge is easily learnable.

Re: E-Z tools

#14

Re: E-Z tools

Mike Kratky

Not one to be closed minded they have their place and are getting better all the time but to appreciate them (or not) its best to 1st learn on conventional tools and how to sharpen them and vary the grids to suit different tasks, they do shine for turning acrylics. As far as costs goes, turning simple put is expensive but what isn't?

Re: E-Z tools

#15

Steven Antonucci

If you can't turn with regular tools, you can't...

Steven Antonucci

turn with an EZ tool either.

The tool in your hand doesn't determine your result. Nor does the material it is made from. The only thing that matters is whether or not you are using it correctly.

You could learn how to sharpen a conventional scraper with a simple grinder in less than a minute, and you'd have the same tool in your hand at 1/15th the cost. Even cheap Chinese imports would work.

Re: E-Z tools

#16

For me...

Tony - Memphis

I can do things with the EZ's that I can't do with gouges. But again, I am not a 'turner.'

Tony

Re: E-Z tools

#17

Lyle Jamieson

wish I had a like button for you all


Re: E-Z tools

#18

Steven Antonucci

that's why so many of them sold

Steven Antonucci

...because people believe what they want to believe.

they are just scrapers.

S

Re: E-Z tools

#19

Re: E-Z tools

Don Orr

Jack-I don't think you would gain anything by using the EZ tools if you already have and use competently normal spindle turning tools. They are, as many have already stated, scrapers. While scrapers have their place in woodturning, they are not the answer to everything.

One caveat on EZ tools is that when used flat on the tool rest they act as scrapers, but when rotated up to 45 deg or more and rubbing the bevel they can act as slicing tools. I've shown it many times with various versions to the owners of this type of tool. Mostly they don't care and just want to scrape. If they cared, they would learn to use and sharpen standard tools.

Re: E-Z tools

#20

Riding the bevel with flat-topped carbide

John K Jordan

I remember a video someone posted during a discussion on another forum concerning cheap flat-top carbide tools. This video was presented as proof that you can turn anything with carbide, even using bevel-rubbing cuts.

The guy did turn a spindle and he did it quickly. He did appear to use bevel-rubbing cuts for beads, coves, peeling, and planing. However, he did show a closeup of the result. When he did briefly stop the lathe at the end of the video what I saw was horrible tearout. Maybe some people are satisfied with that, I don't know. I wish I had saved the video link.

JKJ

Re: E-Z tools

#21

Re: Riding the bevel with flat-topped carbide

john lucas

I will be trying bevel rubbing cuts when I test the new Woodpecker carbide tools. I'll try the same with the EZ wood tools I have. I will also be doing shear scraping cuts with those tools as well as a HSS scraper and the Hunter carbide tool

Re: E-Z tools

#23

Lyle Jamieson

Re: Riding the bevel with flat-topped carbide

lyle Jamieson

Agree John, The nanograin carbide from Hunter will have a much sharper edge. Not comparable to the old carbide when it comes to finished surface on the wood. The particulate the carbide is made from is the key. The cheaper carbide will not be as sharp.

Re: E-Z tools

#24

They are scrapers,but

John C Lucas

If you take.light cuts for the last few passes you can clean it up.pretty well. Most new turners use vouves that arent sharp.enough and then force the cut a d sometimes.even s rape because they are off the bevel. So really they dont get a much better surface. Some.woods of course scrape terribly but some leave a.surprisingly good surface after scraping. Now those of us who have been turning for a while can get a much cleaner surface.

Re: E-Z tools

#25

Steven Antonucci

Sure, but you could just use a scraper instead?


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.