WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

A Great Idea

Posts

A Great Idea

#1

Dick Hines

A Great Idea

Dick Hines

My wife was making some brownies on this cold day and I got to thinking. Don't start. Why is there no narrow brownie pan. Like two wide. Then ALL the brownies would have crispy edges.

Oh well, I guess it's time to go to the shop.

Re: A Great Idea

#2

Re: A Great Idea

JohnV

use many mini loaf pans.

Re: A Great Idea

#3

Actually....

Tony - Memphis

I have seen a zig zag brownie pan. I don't eat them, but it seemed like a neat idea.

Re: A Great Idea

#4

Re: Actually....

Ed D.

Here ya go...


img

Re: A Great Idea

#5

Re: Actually....

William Duffield

That wouldn't work for me. The brownies I make won't come out of the pan without self-destructing unless I put a sheet of parchment paper in the bottom. I can't imagine how to fold the paper to fit into that pan.

Re: A Great Idea

#6

Re: A Great Idea

Robert

Use a regular sized pan and then cut really large pieces so that each piece has an edge.

Re: A Great Idea

#7

That's my feeling

Dick Coers

With a really good brownie, the standard pan is two wide!

Re: A Great Idea

#8

Re: A Great Idea

John K Jordan

My Lovely Bride and the best cook in the south east said why stop with two crispy edges:

https://www.amazon.com/Wilton-2105-0454-Brownie-Bar-Pan/dp/B008KE7L2S

JKJ

Re: A Great Idea

#9

I was going to suggest a Mini Muffin pan....

Barry Irby

but JKJ's pan is better. Squares have more edge than circles.

Re: A Great Idea

#10

Dick Hines

Re: I was going to suggest a Mini Muffin pan....

Dick Hines

This is getting better all by the minute.

Re: A Great Idea

#11

Re: A Great Idea

Steve Kniffen

To be the voice of disagreement, I leave the edges because I like chewy brownies. Give me the gooey middles every time.

Re: A Great Idea

#12

Mike Stafford

Re: I was going to suggest a Mini Muffin pan....

Mike Stafford

That is what I make brownies in when I make them for my wife. She loves 'em just because of all the crispy edges.

Re: A Great Idea

#13

Re: Actually....

Rum

Grease the pan, then flour it by dusting with flour and you'll be able to say goodbye to the parchment.

Re: A Great Idea

#14

Jim Barbour

Re: A Great Idea

Jim Barbour

I know she is lovely, and I am sure she is an excellent cook, but my bride has claim to best in the southeast. :b She recommends this one for crispy edges. But she and I are both in the gooey brownie camp all the way!

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Metallic-Professional-Solutions-13-Inch/dp/B00YF3AE1S/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1519172432&sr=1-1&keywords=brownie+pan+with+dividers

Next comes the recipe swap!

Re: A Great Idea

#15

round pan = max gooeyness

Dave Belser

Works for me and I already have the pan!

Re: A Great Idea

#16

best cook

John K Jordan

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your delusions, Jim. I guess we'll just have to exchange visits to sample the wares. I think pollo cardinali baked in a mushroom and heavy cream sauce in a deep cast iron skillet will be appropriate for when you come here.

Our personal family chef goes to great extremes including trips to foreign countries for cooking lessons. So far four in Italy including one at a friend's grandmother's house to learn authentic northern style German/Italian country cooking and one in the heart of Tuscany, fish and chips and an amazing strawberry cream dish from the west coast of Scotland. She not only gets recipes but methods and a bit of history of traditions. She comes back with local herbs, sometimes unavailable or incomparable to what we can buy here. Now she's planning a culinary expedition to selected villages in the countryside in Greece. Then I think it is somewhere in the Swiss alps, she mentioned Amsterdam, and then back to Venice in an attempt to steal their secrets of the world's best tiramisu - this may involve some bribes.

As for the brownies, I think part of the issue people may have with sticking to the pan is the recipe. We have transitioned from the very dark softer brownies to a slightly lighter style that maintains moderate central goo and delicately crisp edges - no sticking. I do like the looks of the pan you showed; I've just ordered one for evaluation by our kitchen research department.

JKJ

Re: A Great Idea

#17

Re: round pan = max gooeyness

Bruce Schoenleber

All well and good, but ...

Tenon or recess, or do you use a faceplate?

Re: A Great Idea

#18

Jim Barbour

Re: best cook

Jim Barbour

OK John - I am willing to concede on credentials, but the proof, as they say, is in the pudding. We really do need to get together and undertake taste testing - perhaps several days/weeks worth. :b

As to my delusions, they like me in here!

Re: A Great Idea

#19

I'm hungry


Re: A Great Idea

#20

Me too

John C Lucas

Im at the physical therapist cor a back problem. There is a really good breakfast resraurant right next door so guess where im going. They have pancakes that are about 10" in diameter.

Re: A Great Idea

#21

Re: I'm hungry

John K Jordan

I bought the pan Jim Barbour suggested earlier,

https://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Metallic-Professional-Solutions-13-Inch/dp/B00YF3AE1S

It's here, washed, and waiting. Perhaps there will be fresh brownies tonight when I get back from the Crossville demo.

JKJ

Re: A Great Idea

#22

Pecan pancakes at Cracker Barrel.....

JamieDonaldson

....make a man sized meal!

Re: A Great Idea

#23

Thumbs up

John K Jordan

The brownie angle blessed us with fresh brownies, waiting when I got back home. The pan is perfect.

JKJ

Re: A Great Idea

#24

Jim Barbour

Re: Thumbs up

Jim Barbour

Glad you like it. Since we are both gooey brownie types we don't use it much except for noes we are taking out somewhere.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.