WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

New walnut mirror

Posts

New walnut mirror

#1

New walnut mirror

john lucas

This is really different than what I've done before although the texture is the same.






Re: New walnut mirror

#2

Re: New walnut mirror

Ed Davidson

Lots of texture and back-to-nature style with that one, John...very cool.

Re: New walnut mirror

#3

Re: New walnut mirror

mark paulley

John, Do you mind explaining how you textured the pieces? Wire brush?

Thanks

Re: New walnut mirror

#4

Re: New walnut mirror

john lucas

I use a V tool carving tool to first cut the grooves. Then I use gouges or my Dremel to round over the "beads". The I use a wire wheel in the drill press or lathe to cut the texture. You have to find the right wire wheel. I usually buy the cheap ones from Harbour freight in a couple of varieties. ONe of them will usually be the right stiffness for your particular wood. Softer wheels produce a finer texture. When I have that done I use a V shaped riffler file to cut the very bottom of the grooves for a cleaner look. Then I follow this with a soft brass brush. I usually use Krylon Fixatif as my spray finish for this texture. I learned this from John Jordan.

Re: New walnut mirror

#5

Re: New walnut mirror

mikeee12345

Nice work John!

That one really stands out with it's natural design and texture!

Re: New walnut mirror

#6

Thanks for the explaining the process!


Re: New walnut mirror

#7

richie croce

Re: New walnut mirror

richie croce

That is Really thinking out of the box. Your work is inspirational.keep it comeing.

Re: New walnut mirror

#8

Re: New walnut mirror

Philip Duffy

Stunning, John, just plain stunning! Phil

Re: New walnut mirror

#9

Wow!!


Re: New walnut mirror

#10

Stunning break from "the routine."

George Guadiane

I really like this. Thanks for taking the risk, I think it paid off.

Re: New walnut mirror

#11

Re: New walnut mirror

Don Orr

Very cool! Gives me a kind of a "Middle Earth" feel.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.