WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Trucking companies and reading stickers on freight

Posts

Trucking companies and reading stickers on freight

#1

Trucking companies and reading stickers on freight

Dick Coers

This shipment came Thursday. Needless to say it wasn't taken off the truck. It has almost sheared off the skid, besides poking out the top of the box. The two stickers say, "Do not stack" and "Fragile". The trip from Eastern Pennsylvania to Central IL must be a rough one!




Re: Trucking companies and reading stickers on freight

#2

Re: Trucking companies and reading stickers on fre

Barry Irby

My friend and I attend trucking auctions once or twice a month. People ask, What's there? My answer is, Whatever fell off the truck this month.

Its astonishing. I have bought any number of tools. Sometimes you buy a pallet of tools and find some damaged and some like new. We take two or three and make one out of them. Sell most of them and keep one or two. If you get them for ten cents on the dollar you can do well.

There is lots of furniture, most of it so mangled no one wants it. Lots of kitchen cabinets and vanities. Many with broken tops and damage. They often go for nearly nothing. We use them in houses we flip. Or I make minor repairs and sell them.

Our buyers are funny. Post a picture clearly showing the damage and try to sell a $1,000 vanity for $100. People show up and say "Oh!, it's damaged!" Did they really think they were getting a like new vanity for 1/10 the new price?

I'm hoping for a truck load of Festool stuff. (Not to wish them any bad luck of course.)

Re: Trucking companies and reading stickers on freight

#3

Re: Trucking companies and reading stickers on fre

Paul Grenier

where are these trucking auctions? at a specific trucking company or at a consolidators?

Re: Trucking companies and reading stickers on freight

#4

I should not find out where those auctions are

Dick Coers

I can barely walk in my shop now!

Re: Trucking companies and reading stickers on freight

#5

Re: Trucking companies and reading stickers on fre

Barry Irby

This on is in Richmond, VA, but they are scattered all over. I have also heard about one that sells building materials north of here, but have forgotten the specifics.

The facility I was thinking of has two different sides. On the larger side (N&W) they sell something like 400 to 500 pallets of stuff. On the smaller side (Estes) they sell something like 400 different items or lots, but less than pallet quantities. there is another one in town (Foremost) that sells about 400 lots of stuff.

Absolutely no telling what you will find. Pallets of shoes, Lawn furniture, Flooring, Laminate flooring, Doors, Truck front ends, auto parts, filters, food, tools, blades, TV's, rolled oats, filing cabinets, kayaks,....on and on

I just put "Freight Auctions near me" into google and found these and several more.

Re: Trucking companies and reading stickers on freight

#6

Re: I should not find out where those auctions are

Terry Quiram

Yeah, you and me both.

Re: Trucking companies and reading stickers on freight

#7

Re: Trucking companies and reading stickers on fre

Roger Chandler

Oh man.........I hate when that happens!!! :( Dick, what's in the box? Any major equipment additions to your studio/shop? Hope it wasn't something that will delay your production!

I wish you much better luck with the replacement of whatever it is!

Re: Trucking companies and reading stickers on freight

#8

I was hoping someone would ask, lol

Dick Coers

Nothing for the shop Roger, it's for my riding pleasure. Another addition to my electric assist bikes. This electric assist recumbent trike will be my nature trail cruiser. I ride a 26 mile long crushed limestone bike trail north of Peoria that used to be a rail line, and then about an hour away there is the Hennepin Canal Parkway. The Canal Parkway is almost 75 miles in a straight line. This will let me sit upright and heads up to ride in comfort and enjoy nature. I take a lunch along and just really relax on these day trips.


Re: Trucking companies and reading stickers on freight

#9

Re: I was hoping someone would ask, lol

John Stegall

Dick, what brand is your bike?

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.