Bodger Tools?
Tom Norton
A bit of a follow-up question.
I was looking at Highland Hardware. I see the above tool brand. Thoughts?
Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
Bodger Tools?
Tom Norton
A bit of a follow-up question.
I was looking at Highland Hardware. I see the above tool brand. Thoughts?
Re: Bodger Tools?
David Walser
Tim -- I don't have any experience with Bodger tools. I do have a lot of experience with the Chinese-made house-brands sold by a number of retailers -- including the Benjamins Best tools sold by Penn State, the tool sets from Harbor Freight and Grizzly, Jet, and others. Based on this unscientific sample, I believe you can get a quality tool from these sources. You can also get something that won't hold an edge. The issue seems to be with the hardening of steel, which is not something you'll be able to correct in your shop. If they've done it correctly, you're good. If not, you might as well be using a skew made from a butter knife. Some have reported that their tools were properly hardened for only the first inch or two of the the blade.
Even if they properly hardened the blade, you'll need to spend a lot of effort with a belt sander and a file to clean up the surfaces of the tool. They come fairly rough from the factory. As they come, they won't slide smoothly over your tool rest and the sharp corners will dig into the rest.
HTH
Re: Bodger Tools?
Ralph Lindberg
I'm guessing that most of the "house brands" (Bodger, Benjamans Best,etc) are made in the same factory.
I've bought "house brands" and got a reasonable tool, I've also got ones where the flute isn't cut square, the tool is squarely mounted in the handle, etc.
One thing that is consistent is that only the "tip" of the tool is hardened. This is due to how these tools are heat-treated. I've tested (file on the tool) and found house brands that are only hard and inch or so up the flute.
Lack of proper heat treating is not restricted to "house brands", I've tested "name brands" that where not hard all the way up the flute. In fact the only tools I've tested that where hard all the way up the shaft are Thompson and D-Way.
Re: Bodger Tools?
AZ in Colorado Springs
That's what I have. Their set of six, and I added a narrow bowl gouge. My turning consists of spindle work--table legs, usually, and an occasional bowl. I turned a small bat last month as a Christmas gift. My experience is much more limited than the guys who post here, and these are the only turning tools I have, so I can't give a comparison to other brands. I sharpen them on a water cooled Delta stone, and they seem to get a good edge and hold up for a good while. After turning a large project I'll hone the edge so it doesn't get trashed next time.
Re: Bodger Tools? Traditionally
Jorge
Bodger tools are hand forged hooks,
used in a pole lathe. Nice way to go if you can muster the omph..