WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Her third lesson, first wand

Posts

Her third lesson, first wand

#1

Her third lesson, first wand

John K Jordan

This young friend wanted to make a wand for a present for a college professor. Her only experience at the lathe was over two years ago when we had one spindle turning lesson and one bowl-turning lesson. She had not touched a lathe since.

As a review I showed her the process on a practice wand blank and let her try each cut to get a feel for the tools again. I brought out a roughing gouge, spindle gouge, and two skew chisels.

It took her about two minutes to learn the "left-hand steady rest" technique with the skew. Then she started on a yellow poplar blank and finished this wand. The only thing I did was watch and correct tool presentation and technique as needed. I was impressed since thin spindles like this can be a challenge at times, even to turners with some experience.

When she finished she said "I think the easiest tool for me was the pointy one, the skew thing" :)


BTW, when I teach turning to beginners the first tool in their hands is the skew.

JKJ

Re: Her third lesson, first wand

#2

I think your shop is full of Majic! Nice Job!


Re: Her third lesson, first wand

#3

Jim Barbour

Nice work - both of you.


Re: Her third lesson, first wand

#4

Outstanding !


Re: Her third lesson, first wand

#5

Re: Her third lesson, first wand

Jorge

I think she is ready for a game of Quidditch!

Re: Her third lesson, first wand

#6

Re: Her third lesson, first wand

John K Jordan

>>>I think she is ready for a game of Quidditch!

Hmmm, never tried turning a broom handle.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.