WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 β€” 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Jobillo Platter

Posts

Jobillo Platter

#1

Jobillo Platter

David Smith

I normally don't buy wood but last April I bought a piece of Jobillo from our local Woodcraft store. Even though it was covered in all sorts of dirt hiding colors and spalting the piece of wood just kept nagging me to take it home. I'm glad I did. After five months I finally decided to turn a platter. The board initially was 1" x 16" by 20" or so and the finished platter is 7/8" x 15.5", finished in danish oil and buffed to a satin finish.


img

Re: Jobillo Platter

#2

Jobillo Platter (bottom pic) 


img

Re: Jobillo Platter

#3

It's a beaut!

David Walser

The wood is spectacular and you did well with it.

Re: Jobillo Platter

#4

Well done, very nice!


Re: Jobillo Platter

#5

Sweet, well done!


Re: Jobillo Platter

#6

Re: Jobillo Platter

John C Lucas

Well.worth the wait. Beautiful.

Re: Jobillo Platter

#7

Re: Jobillo Platter

Paul Grenier

Gorgeous wood and great work. I'm curious what WoodCraft charged you for that piece of wood. They are not known for realistic / good pricing, especially on their wood.

Re: Jobillo Platter

#8

Re: Jobillo Platter

David Smith

Thank you for the compliment guys.

Paul, the store here received a pallet of this wood, all considered cutoffs and most of it was checked but this was one of the few pieces that had no cracks at all. This was all sold at $3 a pound, if I recall correctly I paid $30 for this piece and $20 for another not as large. After turning this platter I went back and bought four more pieces all about 30" x 14". It turned beautifully and required only minimal sanding.

Re: Jobillo Platter

#9

George Balock

Re: Jobillo Platter

George Balock

That’s a bargain if you ask me David! Very nice wood and treatment.

Re: Jobillo Platter

#10

Jim Barbour

Good Looking Wood, Excellent work


πŸ‘ This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.