WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

log hoist, possibly *LINK*

Posts

log hoist, possibly *LINK*

#1

log hoist, possibly *LINK*

john lucas

Found this in my latest NRA magazine the thought it might be really useful for lifting smaller logs into a truck. Maybe even larger logs you could lift it off center and get one end on the bed and reduce a lot of the weight so you could lift the other end and slide it in. Getting a lot harder for me to lift logs. Bigger logs I cut into 20" sections and roll them up a ramp but that can be dangerous if they get off center and get away from you. I now use a trailer with a tailgate ramp. It's low enough I can get most things on. Gonna rig up a winch on the trailer to pull the logs on.


https://redneckblinds.com/collections/hunting-accessories/products/deer-hoist-skinner

Re: log hoist, possibly *LINK*

#3

Re: log hoist, possibly *LINK*

Stuart Johnson

I've been thinking about this one for lifting 100 lb. propane tank.


http://www.cabelas.com/product/VIKING-SOLUTIONS-RACK-JACK/1850536.uts?productVariantId=3926172&WT.tsrc=PPC&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03944628&rid=20&gclid=CjwKCAjwjJjOBRBVEiwAfvnvBInDfBO0irvO3UVmDGQaK9HEzupaUHNz3Vm8BmogIv0AwcVMJo7osRoCsso

Re: log hoist, possibly *LINK*

#4

Re: log hoist, possibly

Hugh

John,

Take a look at Harbor Freight motorcycle jacks. I have one that is made out of mostly aluminum and with a piece of plywood and two 4x4s attached. I use a good hand truck to move the wood to the jack....and onto the jack. Have to kind of roll it up there. Then using the jack to raise the wood to almost the level of the pickup tailgate. I have a Tacoma pickup and it misses the tailgate by about 4". But it is high enough that you can flop it over into the bed of the pickup. Then you never really use your back for picking the wood up. Once home....just roll the log out. More hand truck. I have moved pieces of wood that weigh in about 300+#s. On sale sometimes for about $175 or so.

Hugh

Re: log hoist, possibly *LINK*

#5

Re: log hoist, possibly

mikeee12345

On most truck models you have to install a backing plate under the bed to support

the stress of the bolts when picking up heavy objects or you will bend the metal bed

and pull the bolts through the metal depending on the vintage of the truck. You can

also just bolt it to a larger piece of metal and then bolt that piece down which will distribute

the stress over a larger area of the bed.

Another option is a cable winch mounted in the bed of the truck, you can easily winch a log

up an inclined 2x12 supported on the tail gate of the truck.

Re: log hoist, possibly *LINK*

#6

Re: log hoist, possibly

Keith Newton

John, back before I mounted a 9000# winch on the front of my car-hauler trailer, and welded up a gantry type boom, guyed by chains. I was loading pretty large logs by myself by cutting a long slant on some of the larger limbs. I would than wrap a chain around the log, and use the truck to pull the log so it rolled up the slant / ramp, then out onto a flat. This would be near the center of balance of the log, leaving one end on the ground with the other up in the air. I'd then back the trailer under the high end, then put some lengths of 2" pvc under it for rollers. Then with a come-along, I could easily pull the log forward. The wedged log ramp can roll along the ground, until it bumps up agains the back of the trailer. Then it's time to pull the truck and trailer up to where the ramp-roller is half way out of the remaining length, then go back to pumping the come along. By the time it bumps again, it is all the way in.

Of course now, with the winch and boom, its easier both in and out. I can tilt the boom out over the back, then pull the logs out over the woodmizer and let the down on the bed.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.