WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Saved the day

Posts

Saved the day

#1

Saved the day

John K Jordan

My Lovely Bride bumped the glass lid of her favorite coarse salt container off the counter and it didn't survive. She was distressed since she uses this when cooking. I happen to strongly support her incredible cooking so this nearly trivial project should pay big dividends!

Some years ago I had some Eastern Red Cedar logs on the sawmill and uncovered this wonderful marbled figure. (This lid is end grain which best shows off the figure.) I was able to reuse the silicone rubber seal from the glass lid.


I used negative rake scrapers and a hand scraper to eliminate most of the sanding except for some 400 and 600 grit. Finish is beeswax melted into the wood with a small heat gun.

JKJ

Re: Saved the day

#2

Re: Saved the day

Dick Coers

Very nice.

I've found that vibrant color doesn't last for too many years.

Re: Saved the day

#3

Jim Barbour

Nice catch John

Jim Barbour

As I started to send this as an *NM* message it occurred to me that "catch" might have a negative implication to a bunch of turners. I mean the other type of catch - and not the one that holds the door shut.

Ain't English a great language!

Re: Saved the day

#4

the color

John K Jordan

>>>I've found that vibrant color doesn't last for too many years.

Maybe it depends on the wood, finish, light, etc. I've found that melting beeswax into the wood tends to bring out and keep the color. This is the inside of the lid before applying beeswax:



I've made pieces from this same wood that still have good contrast after a decade although they may have faded some.

I wish there was a way to save the brilliant color typical when the tree is freshly cut. Some of the cedar trees around here are almost purple when green, more color than even these:


JKJ

Re: Saved the day

#5

Julian

Re: the color

Julian

Have you tried using Krylon UV resistant spray? I use it on my basket illusion turnings but the oldest is not even a year old so I don't know how well it will work over time.

Re: Saved the day

#6

Krylon UV resistant finish

John K Jordan

Haven't tried it on cedar. The problem with the fresh cut ERC color it usually fades significantly as the boards dry.

JKJ

Re: Saved the day

#7

Re: Krylon UV resistant finish

John C Lucas

I havent had a problem so much with cedar fading as i have with how much it changes when you apply any finish. It has rrly rich colors when first cut and they change to yellow and purple with any finish, eve. Just wax. The best i found was Krylon Fixatiff. It changed the color the least.

Re: Saved the day

#8

Re: Krylon UV resistant finish

Don Evans

John u just discovered why "fixatiff" was introduced I believe. It was advertised being for artist (the one's that make picture art) to protect their painting etc.

Not suppose to change the color..

Don

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.