WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Collet chucks for gouges

Posts

Collet chucks for gouges

#1

Collet chucks for gouges

Reed Gray

The thread below bought up some thing I have been pondering for a while. There are a bunch of different variations for ferrule set ups so you can break down your tools for travel. What are your favorites, and least favorite, and why???

Handles and chucks for scrapers???

robo hippy

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

#2

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

Jeff Smith

Reed: I’ve used Daves (D-Way) handles for 4 or 5 gouges for several years. I like them a lot - aluminum with a pvc (I think) on the grip area. He’s got a new material he’s using these days. Haven’t tried it, but it looks like it’ll perform well.

I bought one of the Ellesworth designed handles with a collet that Robust sells, and it’s great for roughing - nice and long with a good, warm feel and comfortable contours. Not sure I’d go this way for anything more than roughing though. The collet system is nice, and works well for removing the tool for sharpening.

Daves handles work very well with both his gouges and scrapers, since his scrapers have a heavy duty tang made to fit the handles.

I do have several tools with fixed handles but find that I use them with much less frequency - probebly because of the fussiness required to sharpen.

I’ve got several handles that are shop made using the Hoseluk adapters/ferrules. They also work very well and the D-Way tangs fit securely.

They all seem to work fine, but the D-Way handles see the most use. they’ve almost all got the quick change knob so removing tools for sharpening or adjusting the tool extension is an easy operation.

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

#3

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

Cyril Griesbach

Reed, I like the adaptors designed by JImmy Clewes and made by Doug Thompson. They are a quick and easy change or removal for sharpening, have no protruding knobs and require no tools.

https://woodworld-of-texas.myshopify.com/products/jimmy-clewes-quick-releases

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

#4

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

John K Jordan

This, as many things in turning, depends a lot on the type of things turned. A big bowl might benefit from a different configuration than a thin finial.

As mentioned, for round-shaft tools I far prefer the adapters that let me sink the tool far into the handle, and expose just a little if needed. For that reason I don't like those that limit the insertion depth like the Clewes I looked at a few years ago.

BTW, being able to adjust the length extended from the handle lets me keep the same extension whether the tool is longer or shorter.

Another issue - some tools, such as the Thompson gouges, have shafts a bit oversized but machined to "standard" diameters. These need a slightly larger hole if I want to put them deeper into the handle.

I have a number of different handles with set screw adapters. My favorite are those I make myself. When I first started using them I bought some and immediately found that a 1" diameter adapter drilled for a 1/4" tool was simply too big to hold and control for fine detail work. That's one thing the prompted me to start making my own.

Tools with square or rectangular shafts are a bigger problem. A 3/8" square shaft can be held in a larger adapter (1/2", I think) with set screws but I had to use longer set screws (and keep up with the shorter ones!) A curved shim would fix this.

JKJ

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

#5

George Balock

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

George Balock

I agree with John regarding the ability to have a through hole so that you can adjust the amount of tool exposed. Also, having the ability to reverse the tool in the handle for transport is a plus.

I just started making my own handles this year. It isn’t hard, and it’s fun working with metal rather than wood.

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

#6

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

Reed Gray

The only ones I have at present are the ones from D Way. They have one set screw, and one larger knob that is hand tightened. I found it curious that Dave puts his scrapers in the handle and orients it so that the set screws contact the side of the scraper shaft and not the flat. It does seem to hold. I only use them for shear scraping. Thing is I don't want to have to reach for a tool to tighten it up in the handle. Dave did send me one of his new handles, and a new open flute gouge to try out. I won't get around to trying it out till the new year. Had to take a little time off out of the shop. Doctors told me it was time to take out the prostate. 5 weeks ago, and all is going very well.

I know Serious Lathe guy had a nice padded handle with a collet chuck on it. Seems like there is an Ellsworth version, and probably a couple of others. I do prefer more light weight handles. Dave's are a little on the heavy side for me. Still searching for the perfect one...

Now, to get the new shop and house built.

robo hippy

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

#7

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

David Walser

I know Serious Lathe guy had a nice padded handle with a collet chuck on it.

I have the tool handle from Serious and like it a lot. The only problem with it is that they only make it in one length. That works fine for my bowl gouges and larger scrapers, but not for most of my spindle turning tools. I've started using really short handles on my skews. (My 'turning muscle' was starting to get in the way.) I am finding I really like shorter handles on many of my tools.

However, where the Serious tool handle is the right length, I like it a lot. The collet tightens with an 1/8th turn in either direction. The foam is comfortable on the coldest mornings. (Of course, it never gets all that cold in my Arizona shop.) The handle has a decent amount of heft without being tiring to use. And, because it is hollow, I can store the entire blade inside it if needed. What's not to like?

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

#8

Making metal adapters

John K Jordan

>>>I just started making my own handles this year. It isn’t hard, and it’s fun working with metal rather than wood.

I've posted this before, but if someone is interested and doesn't know, it's pretty easy to turn aluminum on the wood lathe. (although not real fast) I normally use a metal lathe but I made this tool adapter using Thompson skew and spindle gouge just to see what it took.




Re: Collet chucks for gouges

#9

Re: Collet chucks for gouges

David Smith

Woodworker's Emporium offers handles in lengths of 12", 16" and 22" with the option of either the ER25 or ER32 collets. Its something I have on my 2018 wish list. I know that it is more convenient to sharpen a tool when the handle is removed but one thought I had is since I have a small shop I could save space by having say three handles and a variety of un-handled gouges. The trade off for saving space would be having to take a few seconds to change tools.

http://www.woodworkersemporium.com/sb-tools-carbon-fiber-er-collet-handles/

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.