Turned Chandliler??
Tom Norton
We would like to have a "early American" style chandiler in the dining room. I was wondering if anyone here has made one? And if so would you share so info?
Thanks!
Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge
Turned Chandliler??
Tom Norton
We would like to have a "early American" style chandiler in the dining room. I was wondering if anyone here has made one? And if so would you share so info?
Thanks!
Re: Turned Chandliler??
Chuck Engstrom
I began my turning at a lighting operation named Deep Landing Workshop, www.deeplandingworkshop.com. Have a look at what they offer, mostly designs rooted in early American styles.
I do still turn for them, recently a 7-foot tall chandelier that went to a church in Lancaster, PA and seven smaller ones for various clients.
If you want to turn one yourself I'd certainly be glad to share what I know about turning them.
My apologies if this breaks any house rules.
Re: Turned Chandliler??
Tom Norton
Thanks Chuck!
I will start off with just a few questions.
I assume that the turning needs to be hollow. Is this accomplished during glue up by creating the holows before turning? As for the arms thinking black but not able,so far, to find a source. Suggestions?
Thanks!
Re: Turned Chandliler??
Chuck Engstrom
Hi Tom -- I'll try to write you up a little treatise on how these things are made and email it to you rather than take up forum space with extensive text and some photos. If anyone else is interested, just let me know. Give me a couple of days....
Re: Turned Chandliler??
Tom Norton
Thanks Chuck!! That would be great. I think I found a supply, Grand Brass Lamp Parts. One other question that I would like to ask. How to bend the 3/8" tubing , for the arms, so I can make identical pieces.
Thanks again!!!
Re: Turned Chandliler?? *LINK*
Jim Barbour
take a look at Jim Duxbury's efforts.
http://duxterity.com/masterpieces/
Re: Turned Chandliler??
Tom Norton
Hi Chuck!
I have been busy drawing full size turnings for the chandelier. I am looking at milk paint products for the finish.
Started doing some practice turning this afternoon to get back in the swing of turning.
Really looking forward to your info!!