WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Steve Russell

Posts

Steve Russell

#1

Steve Russell

Ralph Lindberg

I was going to refer someone to Steve's web-site for his article on boiling wood, to discover it's gone.

I checked WHOIS and it expired in Oct

Looks like he is really cutting back

Re: Steve Russell

#2

Re: Steve Russell

John K Jordan

Oh no, a huge loss of resources.

I hope Stephen is OK. The last I checked he was doing well and active in a club in Texas.

JKJ

Re: Steve Russell

#3

Re: Steve Russell

Philip Duffy

- - if this works for you please use it without attribution. This what I have been doing for several years and it works on most bowl blanks and other pieces;

Turn the piece to 1in thick. Place in a tub of cold water and turn on the heat - -a turkey fryer is a good choice. After the water is boiling for an hour shut off the heat and let it cool naturally overnight. The next day I wrap the piece, or pieces, in 3-4 layers of The New York Times ( a good use! :D ) and put it in a grocery Paper bag. In a month or so the piece is dry and ready to turn. Philip

Re: Steve Russell

#4

PDF file

John K Jordan

Ralph,

This should help:

content.penturners.org/library/techniques/wood-drying.pdf

Written by Daniel Yourdon but he states "A large portion of this information was taken from comments written by Steven D. Russell."

JKJ

Re: Steve Russell

#5

Re: Steve Russell

Karl_TN

You can use the Internet Archive (aka Wayback Machine) to see his prior site:

https://web.archive.org/web/20171015152704/http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com/

The page on boiling green wood can be found here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20170525223659/http://www.woodturningvideosplus.com:80/boiling-green-wood.html

Here's hoping Steve gets his site back up.

-Karl

Re: Steve Russell

#6

Re: Steve Russell

Jeff Smith

Dale larson also has a good description of his boiling technique on his website.

Here in the cool, wet Pacific Northwest, if I bagged boiled blanks for even a few minutes I’d have mold growing virtually overnight. I throw roughed blanks into the pot as fast as they come off the lathe and keep them in boiling water for as long as I can rough - sometimes all day. when the last one goes in I add two more hours to the pot. If room is needed, the first in are taken out and setup standing with their rims vertical until they’ve cooled and are surface dry - usually the next day. then they get stacked rim down, stickered either on the shop floor or in the crawlspace under the shop until i’m ready to bring them into the shop. At that point I weight them now and again to see if they’ve reached equilibrium.

Re: Steve Russell

#7

Re: Steve Russell

John K Jordan

Karl, excellent! Is the internet archive around "forever"?

Re: Steve Russell

#8

Re: Internet Archive

Karl_TN

John,

he Internet Archive has been around for a long time. They get support from many foundations, donations and various paid services.

More info here: https://archive.org/about/

A website must allow internet crawler services like Internet Archive in order to be saved.

-Karl

Re: Steve Russell

#9

Re: Internet Archive

John K Jordan

Thank you! I've noticed some archived sites in the past but never had the need to try them. I am glad to see Stephen's articles are still around through this. I've used them so much over the years it makes me want to archive them myself just in case.

JKJ

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.