WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

I'm looking for a lamp to turn....

Posts

I'm looking for a lamp to turn....

#1

I'm looking for a lamp to turn....

Barry Irby

I saw a lamp, I believe it was a desk lamp or bedside lamp. Very simple design. Wide turned base and a shaft that I can best describe as the "feminine form" turned. Maybe Art Deco or MCM. Probably cherry. May have some spun metal on it. I have spent hours search Google Images, and others.

I want to make bedside lamps. Any suggestions of design or where to look?

Re: I'm looking for a lamp to turn....

#2

Re: I'm looking for a lamp to turn....

Chuck Engstrom

Home decor magazines should have plenty of lamps in them -- Architectural Digest, Dwell, Martha Stewart, etc etc etc. If you have a Barnes & Noble nearby you could go through everything in their magazine department and the books as well.

Re: I'm looking for a lamp to turn....

#3

Don't limit your search to wood

Dick Coers

I've seen what you are describing on a TV show, can't remember which one. I'm thinking Fraiser. Finding a reasonably priced shade has always been my limiter. I found this one on Google search. Not sure of the asymmetry, but I like the form.


Re: I'm looking for a lamp to turn....

#4

Thanks for mentioning....

Barry Irby

the asymmetry. I thought I was having a stroke.

I kind of like that, I think it's growing on me.

I saw the one I am looking for. Can't remember where or when. I think it's somebody's idea of a classic, just wish I could find it.

Re: I'm looking for a lamp to turn....

#5

Wood magazine

Dick Coers

Saw this image on another image search I was doing. Credited to Wood magazine. Looks like it might use a standard ceiling light fixture glass for the shade. I'd do the base a little differently, looks undersized to me, but I love the design.


Re: I'm looking for a lamp to turn....

#6

Re: Wood magazine

Barry Irby

That's not the one I was looking for, but it is attractive. It's definitely a push in the right direction. Thanks

Re: I'm looking for a lamp to turn....

#7

PS...Does look top heavy

Barry Irby

Can't imagine it would not get tipped over.

Re: I'm looking for a lamp to turn....

#8

Re: Wood magazine

Joe Herrmann

I'm interested in making a couple of lamps for the side tables in our living room. I've been collecting photos from magazines for about a year and, when the spirit moves me, I'll use various components from those photos to come up with a design I like.

Re: I'm looking for a lamp to turn....

#9

OK these may be over the top a little

john lucas

I've turned a lot of lamps over the years. Most ideas come from magazine photos, in particular Architectural digest (I read in the dentists office) and southern living and things like that. I never read the articles I just look at things they put in the rooms. Sometimes like these lamps the ideas just hit me. The cardiac lamp came to me when trying to design a functional piece for the AAW show (It did get it) While thinking about what to do I saw an EKG pattern and thought I could make a lamp out of that. MY dad had heart problems so I carved the heart and replaced all the veins and arteries with plastic tubing. Then I came up with the idea for the defibrilator. The patches on the chest are actually bleached cherry turned very thin and then woodburned and painted. The Brick lamp came about because I had the idea of turning a Christmas ornament that looked like it was made from brick and concrete. It came out so well I decided to do something larger.




👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.