WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 β€” 27 years of woodworking knowledge

A great video on a great lathe *LINK*

Posts

A great video on a great lathe *LINK*

#1

A great video on a great lathe *LINK*

john lucas

I have demoed on a sweet 16 and had forgotten some of the really nice features, like the tool rest lock and being able to move the banjo lock to the other side. Great project as well.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX_iqj1V1Ek

Re: A great video on a great lathe *LINK*

#2

Re: A great video on a great lathe

terry quiram

I sold my Stubby 750 a few years. Missed it and ended up buying a Sweet 16. I like everything about it except the tube steel foot. It gets in my way when working close to the head. I wish top speed was faster than 2900. I also bought the spindle banjo. It's shorter, lighter and easier to move.

Re: A great video on a great lathe *LINK*

#3

Re: A great video on a great lathe

bill tucker

Agree - a very good lathe. A couple of things that are less than perfect: can't slide the headstock for inside of bowls so leaning out over the ways - short version would probably fix that. Apparently, it's easy to loose one of the wedges that hold the tool rest in the banjo - two of the Robust lathes at Arrowmont have one missing which makes the tool rest really hard to adjust. The last thing is replacing the tailstock is a real pain - the clamping plate has to align just right or "no go" - tuff for a weak old fart. But other than that, it really is a sweet lathe - very smooth and turner friendly. One more plus. Many of us are used to 14/16 inch lathes and have appropriate accessories (tool rests etc) that move right over.

bill

Re: A great video on a great lathe *LINK*

#4

Re: A great video on a great lathe

Bruce Markwardt

I bought a Sweet Sixteen when I retired six years ago. It’s been a great lathe. I have used it ti turn everything from kitless fountain pens to table tops.

πŸ‘ This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.