SCHEDULED SERVER MAINTENANCE
The server may be intermittently unavailable over the next 48 hours while major upgrades are performed.

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

Posts

Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

#1

Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

Ed Davidson

Looks like the fidget spinner craze is completely dead now, so thought I'd try to merge one of the many spinners I have on hand with a woodturning. This Osage Orange yo-yo display has a brass spinner permanently integrated into the base. It will spin freely for around 3 minutes...a new way to make things go-round.






Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

#2

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

mikeee12345

Ed,

Very nice work!

Spinning Tops and YoYos will always have a following.

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

#3

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

Don Evans

Wow Ed, that is a beut! Love the design and the orange really pop's.

I curious of couple of things if you can share.

What method do you use the make the cut out arc's in the base?

They appear perfect, I've not done any of those in 40 years of turning. I do have a Triton spindle sander that would do it but to get them to match I would have to make some type of fence for it. The fence isn't a problem for me but how do you do those please.

Other curiousity is the cab's you used on the yo yo and the under side of the stand, did you case those or purchase?

Don

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

#4

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning *LINK*

Ed Davidson

Thanks Don. I use a Lindow/White rose engine for the carvings. Had it for about 10 years...link below to the engine maker's site.

Also about 10 years ago, I commissioned an east coast glass artist to make 100 round dichroic glass cabochons for me. Still have 50 or so left, each one with a different design. I've used them sparingly over the years...just too nice to put on anything that's not really special. Decorating the underside of these yoyo display stands with one-of-a-kind cabs and some rose engine embellishments is a nice surprise effect that my customers like.

The blue-dyed and stabilized Boxelder side caps were originally intended to be knife scales. They were CA glued to the yoyo's Osage body sides, then turned on the lathe.


img

Lindow Rose Engine

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

#5

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning *LINK*

Ed Davidson

Just posted a short YouTube video of the spinner/display in action...see below.




https://youtu.be/Fs6L538rW8s

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

#6

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

Don Evans

Thanks Ed, you have made me very jealous.

I would have never quess you were using a Rose Engine.

You've given me something to dream about probably closest I'll get to one of those, anyway I'm on the down hill side of all this so I'm sure I'll never have one of those.

I'll check out the link you put for Linden, I'm sure it will be sticker shock assuming they are still selling.

Thanks again, have a great day.

Don

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

#7

You are a wild man!

John K Jordan

That's creative+.

Opens the door to all kinds of ideas, a stacked cone of spinners with different sized weights, a ring of vertically oriented spinners as a table centerpiece, one big horizontal spinner with sockets, each to hold a top, a turned airplane or submarine with spinner props, interlocked spinners where paddles on one bumped paddles on the next one and making a lot of clicking noise, a flower arrangement with spinners as the flowers.

Did you turn the the bearing housing and brass weights on the spinner? By hand?

JKJ

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

#8

Re: You are a wild man!

Ed Davidson

Thanks John. The brass spinner I used, and all its components, are off-the-shelf made in China. You can pick up this particular design spinner on eBay or Amazon for around 10 bucks, but there are dozens of other designs to choose from.

The two threaded buttons on each side of the spinner, that your fingers would normally rest on, protrude enough from the spinner's body to allow for plenty of material to epoxy those pieces into counterbores on your turning. By gluing the buttons, and just the buttons, into a wood cavity, the spinner can turn freely. And...you can still take the spinner apart to access the bearing for cleaning, if needed.

I really like the idea of using one of these spinners as a prop on a lathe turned airplane or submarine...gotta try that.


img

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

#9

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning *LINK*

Ed Davidson

Don, back in 2007, the AAW published a how-to article written by Jon Magill on making a low-cost MDF rose engine. You can still access that article, and all the how-to plans, through the Jon's website...link below. John even sells a MDF kit through this site, to help make the job a little easier.


img

Jon Magill's MDF Rose Engine Plans

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

#10

2nd one just finished

Ed Davidson

Made from some really outstanding Italian Olivewood...


img

Re: Fidget Spinner al la Woodturning

#11

Re: 2nd one just finished

mikeee12345

Very nice piece, olive wood is one of my favorites to turn on the lathe.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.