WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Posting photos of your work

Posts

Posting photos of your work

#1

Posting photos of your work

john lucas

I love to see peoples work. It helps me understand who they are and where they are in turning. As the months and years go by I get to see the improvements. If they want critic's ask for it and we will try to be kind and offer some advice as to how you can improve. I don't turn all things and all woods so it's fun to see what other do with those woods and shapes. I learn from them too. So don't be embarrassed about your work. Put it out there to share with us and let us enjoy it also. If you need help with the photography I will be glad to offer advice but there are also a lot of other very knowledgeable people who view this forum who will help also.

Re: Posting photos of your work

#2

Re: Posting photos of your work

Don Orr

I don't turn much during the summer because I'm outside a lot. I did just finish 2 pieces and remembered to take photos. I'll try to get them posted this week if I can find some free time. Anybody know where I can get some 36 hour days? :D

So this week goes as follows.

Tuesday (today)-kayaking after work.

Wednesday-Turning club meeting.

Thursday-movie with the wife.

Friday-firing the wood kiln at the clay center(nap after work then my shift is 1am-7am Sat Morning)

Saturday afternoon and after a nap-lumber and tool auction at our woodworking club.

Sunday-whitewater kayaking.

Monday-back to work for some rest. ;)

Re: Posting photos of your work

#3

Wooork.  What is that.


Re: Posting photos of your work

#4

Re: Posting photos of your work

William Rogers

I am new here. Been mostly reading and gaining information. I'm not a beginner, but have a whole lot to learn. Here is my latest work. This is my first attempt at a footed turning. Wood is maple, 5" wide 4" tall with WOP finish. Doing some Christmas ornaments now, but a bit early for them. Appreciate C & C to help me improve. Not sure if I am going to do many more footed turnings, but I am going to try hand mirrors for Christmas presents in the near future. Hard getting thes pictures down to 100kb, hope the show up.




Re: Posting photos of your work

#5

Re: Posting photos of your work

John K Jordan

Hi William!

Due to the 100K requirement here, I compress all photos to 99K for all forums, sending by email, etc. This is kind to the internet and recipients too!

I use Photoshop or Photoshop Elements to first size then compress to JPG since I've used it for years. For a free way, Ellis the Boss posted this set of instructions using an online compression program:

http://www.woodcentral.com/woodworking/photography/index.pl/page/1/md/read/id/456069/sbj/picresize-experiment/

For viewing on a computer, you really don't lose significant quality by compressing a lot - it's surprising how small you can make the file before you start to notice artifacts on a computer screen! Look at the example in his message.

JKJ

Re: Posting photos of your work

#6

Re: Posting photos of your work

William Rogers

Thanks JKJ. I'll have to work on it. I use an iPad. After posting a reply I think maybe the intention was to start a post.

Re: Posting photos of your work

#7

Re: Posting photos of your work

John K Jordan

>>> I use an iPad.

Ack! I haven't found the perfect iPad app for processing but I did once find one that would sort of work - I think it was Snapseed but not sure. When I have a photo on my iPad or phone I want to post I email it to myself then process it on the laptop. Maybe the online app Ellils mentioned will work on the iPad.

JKJ

Re: Posting photos of your work

#8

Re: Wooork.  What is that.

Don Orr

It's a 4 letter word!

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.