WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Poor turning section, it's melting away!

Posts

Poor turning section, it's melting away!

#1

Poor turning section, it's melting away!


Re: Poor turning section, it's melting away!

#2

Re: Poor turning section, it's melting away!

John C Lucas

Are you talking aboout no posts. I agree. Dont know whats happening. AAW forum has ever been as active as here but seems to have the same number of posts. WOW has picked up a little. Does anyone have any questions or things you want to kniw to start some active posts.

Re: Poor turning section, it's melting away!

#3

Yes, no posting. It was down to one post this A.M.

Dick Coers

I've been mostly cycling this summer. Just turned over 2,100 miles on the odometer for the year. Not sure I'll hit the 3,000 soft goal I set earlier.

Re: Poor turning section, it's melting away!

#4

here's one

John K Jordan

I'd love to see a new thread with tips/discussion by John Lucas and others with experience in cutting threads in wood with a jig. I have the Baxter and have made a couple of small boxes from ebony so far, both about 1" at the threads.

For example, how to best determine the depth of cut. I use the 16 tpi head and the instructions said to cut .035 deep (if I remember correctly) but on my first little box that didn't seem deep enough inside the lid (gaboon ebony) so I made another cut for about .045 or so total depth. This seemsed to work fine, at least for ebony. I assume the sharper tips would chip on something like walnut.

I'm making sketches now for some larger boxes. Any tips, guidelines, and experiences would be helpful, both on the mechanics of making the threads and on the logistics - for example, do you find it easier to do external threads first then internal, or what? Are fewer threads sometimes better than more?

When I get this down I'll move on to thread chasing!

My 1st try:


JKJ

Re: Poor turning section, it's melting away!

#5

Dennis in Southern Oregon

Re: Poor turning section, it's melting away!

Dennis in Southern Oregon

Looks like you stirred up some acition Dick. The site is jumping now!

Re: Poor turning section, it's melting away!

#6

Re: Poor turning section, it's melting away!

Dale Gillaspy

I haven't been turning much, but I have been lurking in the background of here and WOW. We are in the middle of downsizing our house, so I have been packing, then when we get moved, I'm sure there will be months of unpacking and organizing.

Re: Poor turning section, it's melting away!

#7

Just needed a little jump start I guess! LOL


👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.