WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Acrylic Hair Stick Blanks?

Posts

Acrylic Hair Stick Blanks?

#1

Acrylic Hair Stick Blanks?

Dave Staeheli

I've been making wood hair sticks but wanted to break into acrylics. Problem is I can't find a source for oversized pen blank material. Should be six or eight inches long. Can you buy pen blank material in sheets? There must be a source as I see common pen blank materials made into hair sticks. Anybody have any idea where I can find these?

Re: Acrylic Hair Stick Blanks?

#2

Re: Acrylic Hair Stick Blanks?

Dwight Rutherford

Just did a quick "Google" search for acrylic rod and got lots of choices.

Re: Acrylic Hair Stick Blanks?

#4

Ken Vaughan

Cast acrylic rod

Ken Vaughan

Ed Davidson (aka Yo-Yo Spin) is a premier turner of acrylic, especially for yo-yos. Ed published a DVD on yo-yo making a few years back and was emphatic in recommending use of cast acrylic and avoiding extruded acrylic.

Longer lengths of acrylic penblanks are made and sold for the custom fountain pen makers.

Try Exoticblanks.com as one source.

There are also lots of small penblank casters who do custom work. Ask at IAP.com as several hang out there.

Re: Acrylic Hair Stick Blanks?

#5

Turning acrylic

John K Jordan

Dave,

I've turned quite a bit of acrylic, but in larger sizes than what you mentioned. All mine is "cast acrylic" which I understand is the best or even important to use. I have 4' lengths 1.25 to 1.5" in diameter. This company has many sizes and colors:

http://www.delviesplastics.com/c/Cast_Acrylic_Rod.html

I find it reasonably easy to turn, smooth, and polish. I use Hunter carbide tools and standard spindle gouges, sand with fine paper, then polish by hand with compound on a soft cloth. Some examples, although it is hard to get a photo that looks as good as it does with the eye:






JKJ

Re: Acrylic Hair Stick Blanks?

#6

Look for Italian acrylic rods

Dick Coers

As mentioned, Exoticblanks has them, some at 9+" and longer. You can get solid color rods up to 6' long at plastic suppliers.

Re: Acrylic Hair Stick Blanks?

#7

Re: Acrylic Hair Stick Blanks?

Ivan Clark

Lee Valley just added "Simulated Natural Material Rods" to their New Woodworking Products. It says that they are polyester. No statement about cast or extruded. Two sizes: 3/4"x6" and 2"x6"

I have not tried these blanks yet.

Re: Acrylic Hair Stick Blanks?

#8

Re: Acrylic Hair Stick Blanks?

David Bassett

They also have 3mm sheets. (Otherwise don't know anything about the product.)

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.