SCHEDULED SERVER MAINTENANCE
The server may be intermittently unavailable over the next 48 hours while major upgrades are performed.

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

Turning wood and passage of time

Posts

Turning wood and passage of time

#1

Turning wood and passage of time

Roy Girolami

The longer you turn, the more wood bits and pieces you accumulate. You also probably go through stages where you do pens, pepper mills, bottle stoppers, bowls, chair legs, rolling pins and all sorts of things. Well, when you are going through the various phases, you collect wood. I found various sellers who would tempt me with species I had never heard of, so I bought some. Maybe I didn't need all the piece, so I cut off what I needed and squirreled away the remnant. So now I can look and my stash and wonder what in the heck is that particular piece. I can identify tulipwood and purple heart and zebra wood and probably bloodwood, but the other bits are more mysterious. For instance, years ago the club bought some "cocobolo" from a guy who had a container full that supposedly came from Costa Rica. Doesn't look like any cocobolo I've seen anywhere else. And one piece I have is labeled with a paper sticker as louro prieto. Google directs me to a Portuguese model and actress.

It's too late for me to salvage the scraps, but maybe some of you will take this to heart and mark your bits so you can identify them down the road.

Roy

Re: Turning wood and passage of time

#2

Dennis in Southern Oregon

Re: Turning wood and passage of time

Dennis in Southern Oregon

That sounds like deja vu all over again.

Re: Turning wood and passage of time

#3

Re: Turning wood and passage of time

Roy Girolami

Well, dim light and no glasses works again. It turns out the wood is louro preto, no relation to the actress.

Roy

Re: Turning wood and passage of time

#4

Re: Turning wood and passage of time

Rum

Its even worse when you've cleaned out several other shops for folks and kept the "really interesting looking pieces" that also have no labels on them. In some cases the ID is obvious in others.. not so much.

Re: Turning wood and passage of time

#5

Re: Turning wood and passage of time

Wayne Kuhn

I had a collection of exotic and domestic bowl blanks, held onto them for that special time that never seemed to arrive. I finally gave in a turned them at the 2017 Woodworking show and the 2017 American craft council show as a demonstrator for our club, Baltimore area Turners . I had a ball, the spectators were wowed and I have not regretted it for a minute. Don't hold onto those special pieces turn them and enjoy the journey as well as the destination.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.