SCHEDULED SERVER MAINTENANCE
The server may be intermittently unavailable over the next 48 hours while major upgrades are performed.

WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 27 years of woodworking knowledge

has anyone run across this before...

Posts

has anyone run across this before...

#1

has anyone run across this before...

GaryG in MD

I appear to have had a materials failure.

I'm making an acrylic pen.

I drilled the blanks and painted the insides with white enamel (so the brass tubes don't show through the translucent plastic).

I let it dry for 24 hours.

I glued the tubes in with 5-minute epoxy about 18 hours ago.

I was barrel trimming today, and the brass tube pushed right out.

The epoxy appears to have interacted with the enamel paint and effectively dissolved the paint and ruined the epoxy bond.

Needless to say, I'm not happy.

Should I have expected this based on the chemical compositions involved (of which I'm not fully aware)? I didn't know that dry enamel could be soluble.

I guess I'll have to switch to latex paint in the future.

...GG

Re: has anyone run across this before...

#2

I've had one guess, offline

GaryG in MD

that the enamel paint skinned over but did not dry properly up against the plastic, which is, of course, impermeable. That makes a lot of sense.

Perhaps it would have to be baked to make sure it was dry all the way through.

Re: has anyone run across this before...

#3

Re: I've had one guess, offline

Darryl Hansen

Gary try using a tinted epoxy. Marine Tex is white and easy to use.

Re: has anyone run across this before...

#4

Re: has anyone run across this before...

john lucas

Gary you can possibly color the epoxy white. Mix in a little white paint and then glue your tubes in. That would make it white. I have used plain old white acrylic paint. takes a minute to get it to mix but it works.

Re: has anyone run across this before...

#5

good idea, thanks


Re: has anyone run across this before...

#6

thanks, John

GaryG in MD

I thought of that but was afraid the addition of paint might affect the curing of the epoxy. Based on your comment, I trust that it doesn't. ...GG

Re: has anyone run across this before...

#7

Re: has anyone run across this before...

philip f Duffy

I switched to gorilla glue years ago and have never had a failure. Too slow to cure??? Put water in the tube to rinse it out and to cut the glue cure time by at least 50%. Philip

Re: has anyone run across this before...

#8

Re: has anyone run across this before...

David Walser

Gary -- As you suggested, the problem is likely caused by the enamel paint. There are lots of different types of enamel paint. The common characteristic of them is that enamel paint usually dries to a hard, smooth, glossy finish. It may be that the epoxy didn't stick well to such a surface. Or, as has bee suggested, the paint wasn't fully cured and was still wet below the surface.

You can test this by painting a surface with the paint, letting it dry, and gluing something to the painted surface with the epoxy you used. Then you can verify how well the epoxy bonds to the paint. If it doesn't stick well, you have a definitive answer. Otherwise, we're all just speculating.

One caution: It's been suggested that you mix the color into your epoxy. That can work, but it usually doesn't work very well. For it to work, the colored epoxy has to coat the entire surface of the tube after it's been inserted into the blank. Too often, the blank acts as a squeegee and parts of the tube are scraped clean of glue -- allowing the brass to shine through in spots. I'll grant that can be an interesting look, just not one I've ever intended.

Re: has anyone run across this before...

#9

Thanks, David

GaryG in MD

All good thoughts.

I have already set up the experiment you describe, but I'll have to wait a few days before I can complete it.

Re: has anyone run across this before...

#10

Thanks, Philip

GaryG in MD

My bottle of Gorilla glue hardened, and I never replaced it.

I had some issues with it that I can't remember now, but I remember not being impressed with it. Apparently, you've had good successes. Thanks for the input.

Re: has anyone run across this before...

#11

Re: has anyone run across this before...

Peter Toch

I'm surprised that no one has mention a totally different approach which is to first clean and that paint the outside surface of the tubes before gluing them into the pen blank. I have had 100% success with this method. I use a piece of wire (old coat hanger) that I've cut off the "hook" part, straightened it, and bent a small hook on the bottom. I then slide the tubes down the wire from the top and let them stack up as many as I need or until I run out of wire. The hook at the bottom of the wire keeps the tubes from sliding off. I then use a can of a fast drying flat white spray paint to apply a light coat of paint. Hang the wire up to let the paint fully cure. I then apply a second light coat of the flat white paint to insure that the brass tubes are fully covered. I have used both enamel and acrylic spay paints, which ever can my hand landed on first, with the same 100% success.

Re: has anyone run across this before...

#12

the downside...

GaryG in MD

of this approach is that the epoxy is visible on the outside of the painted tube. I have heard from some pen makers that this can be a problem with certain blanks and kits that require very thin remaining material. In terms of my problem, I don't think it matters which side the paint is on, if it's going to cause a problem with the epoxy.

I'm not home so I haven't had a chance to do more experiments yet. ...GG

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.