WoodCentral Forums

Est. 1998 — 28 years of woodworking knowledge

Storing chainsaws

Posts

Storing chainsaws

#1

Storing chainsaws

jimmctavish

I have several chainsaws, and they end up sitting on the floor of the garage or on a benchtop taking valuable real estate space since I don’t have a decent place to store them. I’m curious how everyone else stores their saws.

I’d prefer to orient them so that the fuel and oil caps are pointed up so they don’t leak all over the place. Does anyone have a decent way to store them up on the wall?

Post pictures if you have something!

Jim

Re: Storing chainsaws

#2

Joe Fleming

Re: Storing chainsaws

Joe Fleming

I place mine on a shelf in the garage. I put an old cookie sheet under them in case they leak.

Re: Storing chainsaws

#3

Most chainsaws will leak some bar oil...

JamieDonaldson

... .I have them stored on a shelf, sitting on some newspaper to absorb the oil.

Re: Storing chainsaws

#4

Re: Storing chainsaws

john lucas

Glad you brought this up. Mine are on the floor right now but when I redo my lumber storage area I am going to find some way to store them. The coolest way I've seen them stored was a standing tree trunk. My friend has this and about 6 saws. He does a plunge cut down at an angle through the tree and then enlarges the hole slightly so he can simply push the blade down through the hole and that holds the saw. He does this at several different locations around the tree and that's how his saws are stored. Easy access but it does take up a lot of room. but then so does anyway you store saws in a bunch of sizes and blade lengths. I doublt I'll do something like that. I have 2 Husky's and on electric saw.

Re: Storing chainsaws

#5

Re: Storing chainsaws

Roger Chandler

If you have a shelf rack made of wood, you could make a couple of brackets to act as a hold down/scabbard type of setup, and attach to the uprights on the shelves. I would have them where the bar was pointed at a 25 degree or so downward angle and the handle/motor could stick out a bit to give me access to pull them out when needed. This would keep them handy, safe, out of the way, up off the floor, and protect the chain from getting hit with sorts of things to dull them.

I do not have pics, but this is an idea that has a lot of merit. I would make the wooden brackets in a basic " square C" shape and attach with either screws or perhaps some metal strapping with holes in them from the hardware store. Make sure your brackets have at least 3 sides of wood to go against the wooden shelf uprights.......that way you are not hitting metal.

Re: Storing chainsaws

#6

Re: Storing chainsaws

John K Jordan

I keep the two I use the most just inside the door of the shop on the concrete floor. The oil stains add character.

JKJ

Re: Storing chainsaws

#7

Re: Storing chainsaws

Hugh Buttrum

If you are storing them for any length of time. .....I would drain and run the gas out of them before storing for too long. I find that if you use the saw once a week, the fuel stays fresh and the saw starts easily. There are people who put Sta-bil in the gas/oil mix. I vote use it up. I have a big saw that I only use once in awhile. I drain the tank and run the gas out before I store it. It takes up floor space I am afraid.

Hugh

Re: Storing chainsaws

#8

ebd

Re: Storing chainsaws

ebd

Mine are on a wood pallet on the floor. I would have no qualms about hanging them by the blade if I needed the space. I've got Sthil's and the caps seal perfectly. Don't know about other brands. I guess if you had to have them flat you could build a narrow shelf nailed in to the studs in an out of the way place.

As far as draining them and running the gas out, I've been advised against that by service techs except for long term storage. Running them dry leaves the cylinder dry and unprotected. If you do run them dry for long term storrage you need to fog the cylinder (special aerosol oil) to make sure it doesn't rust.

I use my saws year round though not every week by far. Sometimes months go by. It would be a real pita to have to refuel every time I need to clear some downed branches or some such, and then dran and run the gas out and fog the cylinder. My tools need to be ready to go when I pick them up.

I've been using stabilizer since I got the saws (and grass trimmer and bush trimmer) and have never drained them. I also make sure never to run them dry. I have never over the years (25+ for one) had one give me a problem starting, running. or performing.

Re: Storing chainsaws

#9

Re: Storing chainsaws

John K Jordan

>>>I use my saws year round though ... Sometimes months go by.

I've been using stabilizer since I got the saws (and grass trimmer and bush trimmer) and have never drained them. I also make sure never to run them dry. I have never over the years (25+ for one) had one give me a problem starting, running. or performing.

Same here. Saws sometimes used every few days, sometimes not for a few months. Always start and run. These are Stihl.

I use hightest gas without ethanol and only the Stihl oil - it has stabilizer in it. I have a lifetime supply. Use the same mix in the chainsaws, string trimmer, backpack blower.

JKJ

Re: Storing chainsaws

#10

Re: Storing chainsaws

Michael Schneider

Stihl ultra 2 contains stabilizer, so you get great mix + stabilizer.

👍 This page answered my questions

Your vote helps other woodworkers quickly find the answers and techniques that actually work in the shop.